Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Sep 2001 18:34:50 -0700
From:         Julianna Thoennes <mumbrue@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Greetings from a new listmember

Hello there,

I finally decided to subscribe to your list. I am a Wetwesties list member, so I might already know some of you. Or you might know me : ) I am in my early thirty's with two young boys. Christopher is & and Jeremy is 5. My husband isn't a VW fan. Anyway, I love VW's, as I am sure most of you do. My love goes way back to my youth, where my Grandfather was always working on one or another. He loves VW too! I currently have three: (which seems to be too many for my husbands liking)

A Silver 1990 VW Vanagon Westfalia- Currently at aprox. 206,000 miles. We are thinking about getting the Tiico conversion, since we are looking at putting the fourth engine in this Vanagon. I am not about to rebuild that engine again. The last was almost 4 years ago exactly. It is still running, but has low compression (90) on #4, and a slight leak on #3 an #4. I am not sure how long he will last. I would love anybody that has done this conversion to let me know your complements and complaints. (You can e-mail me privately if this topic has been visited too often) I have done a few things that are interesting to my van. I have purple neon under the seats, and on the bar to pop the top. At the push of a button the Rastafalia glows! : ) I have an inverter, and three extra 12 v ports. I have an aux. battery to power the toys. I built an extra cabinet behind the passenger seat that houses the childrens clothing, and a portable TV for long trips. We were listing on the driver side for a while, and I finally put new springs with airbags inside them. The valves are in the sidewall of the van in front of the tires. I have a soap pump for the sink that I haven't managed to install yet, and I am working on no see um screens for the back and side doors. I saw someone made pillow case screens for the front windows, so I plan on making those also. I have already replaced the pop top screen with no see um net. I want screens for the side windows, does anyone know where I can get a pair?

An Apple Green 1976 Automatic VW Bay Window camper- This one is new to the family. I can't get over how pretty she is. I have been calling her the Apple Blossom. Right now she is sitting till I can get a new engine for her. I got her CHEAP, because the previous owner broke down in Corvallis, on a road trip from California. She had an individual she didn't know, work on it, and then it caught fire briefly. No damage inside the vehicle, but for all accounts, the engine is toast. No compression. Lots of work to do on the inside to make her livable, but she does have new canvas in already. I need new foam and canvas for the seats, and refinish the panels and cabinetry. Obviously this is my project van.

A Red 1974 standard VW Beetle- My husband is forcing the sale of the Bug since I bought the Bay. I have kids and a dog, so the Bay makes more sense to keep as the extra vehicle. This baby has new grey interior, and I am working on getting a nice paint job done. I think I might have her sold to the man doing the painting. We shall see.

Well, thanks for listening. I am sure I will have more questions here or there.

Julianna Thoennes

[text/html]