Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Apr 2002 21:40:00 -0700
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: GAS FOR TIICO...
Comments: To: Gary Stearns <gstearns@OPTONLINE.NET>

Gary, Your theory is half correct here. The timing will advance to a point and then stop at a pre programmed maximum. If the engine needs 89 octane fuel and won't ping at all with 89 octane then burning 91, 95, 101 etc won't do anything for you as the timing is maxed according to the computer program already.

You will get LOWER fuel economy with higher octane fuel as the higher octane fuel burns slower (to prevent pre-detonation or ping) and has less potential energy than lower octane fuel. Save your money and run 87 or 89 in there and buy some fuel injector cleaner at every oil change. Also some of the very high octane fuel have methyl alcohol in them which slowly eats the rubber o rings in your FI system.

If you want more power out of your engine, advance your timing to 10 to 12 BTDC (assuming stock is 6 BTDC). By doing this the total maximum advance of the distributor will in effect by more and therefore give you the potential of more power - instead of 40 BTDC at 3000 RPM you will now have 46 BTDC - this is in effect what the ECU chips do (they need higher octane fuel too!). If you experience knock, the knock sensor will retard timing and take some power away from you. Don't go more than 6 degrees more as the total 'retarding' effect is about 10 to 12 degrees - more than that and you won't be able to prevent knock as the system won't be able to retard the timing as much.

David Marshall

Fast Forward Automotive Inc. 4356 Quesnel Hixon Road Quesnel BC Canada V2J 6Z3

http://www.fastforward.ca mailto:sales@fastforward.ca Phone: (250) 992 7775 FAX: (250) 992 1160

- Vanagon Accessories and Engine Conversions - Vanagon, Transporter and Iltis Sales and Importation - European Lighting for most Volkswagen models