Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Apr 2002 13:41:19 -0700
From:         phil stanhope <napszeerf@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon crash safety

Hey..Look on the bright side, at least we arent driving old 60's VW buses like some brave Volks do..God bless em! And Hey! Alot of cars out there are not SUV's.....they are Semi's, Tracter Trailers, RV's :):) No really, alot of bad drivers drive econo-cars, so THERE, not much to worry about then right?(for us)

For me, I need new springs so I might as well go Shwinkro and ad 1" highth to my front bumper. Maybe even 15" rims and some tall 215 85 15 tires after that. Its all about having the highest bumper when you get hit front-on....am I making any sense or am i just in Vanagon hazard denile?

And what about Vanagon.com's front page(God love em') introducing the Vanagon to would be drivers like this: "How safe is the Vanagon?- Very Safe" Id be inclined to agree with them...Only If the Vanagon is used in its proper environment(sub-70mph)

2 cents

Phil 84' Westy Tiico "Millenium Falcon" 84' Westfalia Wolfsburg edition GL--FOR SALE/SE VENDE!!(Florida Title/2nd owner) AC, PS, 4spd. Deluxe Instrument panel(tach/digi-clock)Super clean interior, Captains chairs, rare removable center bench seat for 6 passenger capability. Body has rusty seams. Rolling chassis (has NO engine) perfect for a conversion project-Tiico? Subaru? 60' Morris Mini1340CC(not for sale)

"When work gets to be too much i retreat to the van." -J Speer

--- John Brush <jbrush@AROS.NET> wrote: > >i would have been dead too, if i was in a vanagon.. > or seriously hurt. > > In your opinion, but you have no facts to say you > would have been killed. > You have more experience, that's for sure :-) > > You may have seen the other car sooner with a better > view of the road from > the higher vantage point. > > Since the Van handles differently (more poorly?) the > impact may have > occurred elsewhere on the vehicle when your made > your evasive manuever. > > If you were in a van, you might never have been > going that fast in the > first place <bg> and avoided being in that exact > place at that moment. > > Who knows? <shrug> > > There are a lot of variables, and your experience is > one all of us should > be aware of, but in the end, there is no way to know > what 'might' have > happened. > > > In closing: > > All of us have to decide what is safe and what is > acceptable risk. The > attitude of some is that we should all just stay at > home, surrounded by > pillows, others think nothing short of airbags and 5 > point seat belts is > acceptable, some here drive without seat belts, > while many of us accept > the risk, use whatever devices are available for > safety, drive carefully, > and enjoy our vehicles regardless. > > The next thing we will hear is how we should all be > wearing helmets in the > car, with full fire suits and drive nothing short of > an Excursion....... > Yikes! > > Life is a risk, I'll take mine in a vanagon :) > > Very glad that your survived to share your > experience, and to help a lot > of us with our vans! > > Regards from Utah, > > John