Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Jun 2002 09:01:24 -0700
From:         Michael Ramer <elvisramer@COX.NET>
Subject:      It's Alive! It's Alive!

Well, my new Wasserboxer engine is in and running! After nearly 2 months of gathering parts, etc., my '87 Wolfsburg is on the road! After careful prepping, it fired right up!

I bought the clean 'Wolfram Gray Metallic' van with 113k miles from the original owner, knowing that the engine was leaking and overheating. What I was not aware of is that the PO had ignored the leaking torque converter seal and toasted the original trans. My first should have been when it would not go into third gear. The van came with the full Wolfsburg package which is so cool, including factory alloys and new Michelin MXT's. A clean van that was well worth the $1300 I paid, in my opinion.

Thanks to Terry Kay for the (used) auto trans he supplied- even if it is a little rougher in appearance to my original (apparenty they get REAL winters up there) it shifts fine, doesn't leak and much cheaper than the $1800.00 the shop wanted to rebuild mine. And yes Terry, I replaced the torque converter seal with a new one prior to installation of the used trans. I am considering tackling the transmission rebuild myself, after being shown what was bad and in need of replacement by the shop. So the $100.00 inspection was a little helpful...just need to source/price some of the parts. BTW, any suggestions for auto transmission internal parts? Dealer only?

Shamless plugs: Thanks also to Bus Depot, Ken @ Van-again, and the Volkscafe for parts. And of course I must thank OVW in Escondido, CA as well. This Mom & Pop outfit has helped me so much with my Vanagons and Type2's. They are only miles from my house and offer great deals. They can be found at: http://www.the-ovw.com/

My engine is a low mileage '86 carefully rebuilt by a now-retired Porsche/VW mechanic who was getting out of the business. The engine has ample power, although I'm still breaking it in, and handles MUCH better than my '87 Westy did. And while I had reservations about buying an automatic Vanagon, it is so nice just to sit back and cruise! I do notice that the automatic transmission shifts sooner in RPM range than I'd like, although perhaps it's by design to prolong the life of the trans?

I need to buy one of the plastic parts which attaches to the bottom of the window frame and to the cable for the drivers side power window- mine is broken. Fresh air would be nice. Dealer only?

Soooo stoked to have this van! Can't wait for the first road trip, likely to be a mountain bike-adventurama!

Mike, 1987 Wolfsburg 'The Led Zepplin' Ride to Live-Live to Ride