Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Jun 2002 20:32:03 EDT
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM>
Subject:      On Gauges, oil coolers and Stan's jaundiced view
Comments: To: wilden1@JUNO.COM

In a message dated 6/28/02 12:57:21 PM, wilden1@JUNO.COM writes:

<< I've had the VDO after market gauges and a set from an Audi 5000 GT coupe. Besides the faces falling off all of them I'd say they are all just generically sorry. Gauges are for monitoring and after a little 12v tweaking with a constant voltage diode i'm satisfied that I can drive in a safe but wide spectrum of temperatures. The oil pressure gauge is right on but I can't help but wonder why every other oil gauge I've ever had swings the needle slowly and the VDO needles race. >>

Just can't let Stan's curmudgeonoid attack on VDO gauges go unanswered. Obligation to the youthful and impressionable listees. Of course and regrettably he's correct that the accuracy of VDO gauges (and any affordable substitute) is extremely wanting. The precision, however is outstanding. In this world of affordable, unreliable motoring, good precision is more than adequate. In point of fact, the indicated temperature will be effected by the resistance of the path from gauge head to sender, through sender and on to ground. With moderate care during installation (adequate wire gauge, clean contacts, sealed contact points) the VDO gauge will reproduce its measurement of a given temperature within +/- 2 degrees F. The point is that after the gauge install, you will soon learn the normal range of operation and changes alert you to problems. If Hubert Listee says that his normal operating temperature is 90 degrees C, and yours appears to be 80, its probably not important. But if he sees a change of 20 degrees, then for the same mod, you should see the same.

Of course a real gaugaholic will calibrate his sensor system to know the offset between truth and measurement. Stans candy thermometer probably relates to a poor relationship with his significant other (SWMBO has several times suggested that her caramel sauces had a certain aliphatic hydrocarbon flavor - but I had rinsed the GD thing in Brake cleaner several times!) but it is only a secondary standard. Boiling ASTM type 1 water, pyrex surfaces, deoxygenated at sea level - 100 C. Of course you all knew that. Generally if you calibrate at two points, you will find that only an offset is needed to approach truth.

Now, all reputable gauge makers understand the atrocious variation in voltage in the automotive electrical system. They will all build in a Zener diode or equivalent voltage regulator into the input circuit of the gauge. Most automotive gauges will be regulated to a point between 5 and 10 volts. If the gauge value dips below this control value, it will go unstable. So Stan's observations of gauge wiggle with load testify to bad connections such that the available voltage has dropped below reasonable values (read this as going below Ford, GM, Chrysler, even Subie voltage performance levels and down to Vanagon levels). As I have said before, I balanced the refrigerator/stove mass with 00 gauge wire running from rear to front!

Oh well, back to the Cointreau!

Frank Grunthaner