Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Sep 2002 22:18:39 -0400
From:         Robert Donalds <bostneng@FCL-US.NET>
Subject:      Re: 85 GL 1.9L Engine Rebuild Qs?
Comments: cc: curtis-l-lewis@CFL.RR.COM

sure you can reassemble an engine and it will run but very few take the time to take all the measurements and even fewer can correct all the clearances to do a proper job And that's when you can call it a rebuilt engine not a reassembled engine I stopped rebuilding OEM wbx heads 3 years ago when I finally decided that I could not cure the problems of the aging core supply to many failures in to few miles end of story. I have been using the new AMC heads with great success because I replace the cheap crappy valves the importer (Marnel) installs I have even called him up and told him so. he denied the problem and so I supplied him with phone #s. profits before integrity he does not care if your heads crap out in to few miles. The corrosion problem on the new AMC heads is a thing of the past so s the cracking. Other things to check or rebuilt include the rods need to have both ends rebuilt the cam needs to be reground the crank needs to be checked for size the case needs to be cleaned bolted together and measured then as I said align bored. the outer sealing surface needs to be wire brushed drummeled and JB welded then filed to make the sealing surface uniform the head studs need to be inspected for deep rust pitting and replaced as needed. Good proven lifters are at this point not available and I have to few of a known good proven brand to offer any for sale over the counter I am having the avalible brands tested and will be posting my findings as for the 1.9 lower ends I never reassemble a 1.9 engine without alignboring the crankshaft bore I posted this a while ago and a expanded version that ran in the limbo news letter will soon I hope be posted to my web site with photos and such Mike and fellow vanagon types In my time I have taken a couple of 1.9 engines apart and I would like to share with you some of the things I have seen and learned. Most 1.9 engines are pretty tired by the time I get them in fact they are mostly turned in cores in exchange for fresh rebuilds but some come from stripped vans that had other problems. The one thing that is consistent in all 1.9 engines is that the crank bore in the case are out of spec. The specifications for the crankshaft bore size and the amount bearing crush is not listed in any book I have seen. This leaves allot of room for a judgment call based on past experience or advise from others and lack of other options. Some would tell you that if the bearing sits in the web and seems tight then that's OK and if the engine does not bind when you tighten the case bolts then you are good to go. Now we are getting to the difference between going threw an engine and rebuilding an engine. As I said not knowing the specs makes the job a little tricky so in order to understand the intent of the manufacturer I have looked back at some of the older engine specs to see if there is any details that we can use to interpret the intent of those who designed the WBX engine. The type 2/4 engine and the bug engine do have specs for the case bores and wear limits listed in the without guesswork book. The without guesswork book was handed out to techs as they went threw the dealer training programs back in the sixties and seventies. As it turns out there is some good info we can use to determine the intent of the designers of the WBX engines. First the nose bearing is the same on all flat 4 vw engines since 1961 right threw to the 91 WBX engine. The size of the bore for the nose bearing is 50 mm to 50.03 mm. and the wear limit is 50.04 mm. The next thing I noticed is that the Main bearings bore sizes are all in round numbers. Yah got to love those Germans need for order and straightforward simplicity. The two middle main bearings bores are in fact the same size on the bug main bearings bores as they are on the 1.9 WBX engine and that is 65 mm. with a wear limit of 65.03 mm. The type 2/4 main bearings bores are the same bore size as the rear main WBX bearing no big surprise! ( no its not the same bearing ) The rear main bearing bore for the type 2/4 engine is 70 mm with a wear limit of 70.03 mm. With all of that in mind we can now go back and look at the WBX block and use these dimensions to determine the condition of the used 1.9 cases. The next dimensions we need to determine if the case is in useable condition is the actual size of the bearings and then we can do the math and determine the bearing crush IF ANY!!! I promise there will not be any and that's important to long life. the bearing crush helps with heat transfer and it insures the bearings will not move around in the case causing even more oil clearance and lower oil pressure after a very few miles

Bob Donalds

I just last week offered to the list a rebuilt 1.9 engine with AMC heads that had 1000 miles on them before I cleaned inspected installed new valves and used them on this fresh rebuild This is engine is still available the price is $2100 exchange quality goes in before the name goes on

I have a huge supply of main bearings in all sizes for the 1.9 and most sizes for the 2.1 and I offer quality parts and machine shop services for the all air-cooled and water-cooled VW engines. I also have one thing the parts stores will never be able to offer tech support and the proper proven parts to get the job done the right way the first time. Read my article on hydraulic lifters It will save you allot of grief and aggravation hope this helps

as always with attitude

All rights reserved

Going faster miles an hour with the radio on I remain Bob Donalds AKA B. Bob Boston Engine Exchange http://www.bostonengine.com