Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Dec 2002 20:44:44 -0600
From:         populuxe <populuxe@EXECPC.COM>
Subject:      Re: door for westy above-bed storage

we know some folks love a/c; some are indifferent; and some hate it. my point about keeping the a/c stuff intact was pragmatic: you've got an expensive option on your van, on top of the camper premium. if you don't ever plan on selling your van do what you want. but if you sell it you're limiting your perspective buyers(you can leave it in and just say "needs freon" ha ha). driving for miles on the hi-way with every window open ventilates me like a hot air convection oven, i get that wind fatigue, cant hear my wife(snicker), and it makes my cigar burn unevenly. what's even worse is relying on the vanagon "ventilation system" with the windows shut.

on the topic of how to keep cool when you stop to camp: a year ago i looked at a beautiful 81 (air cooled of course). it didn't have any power options at all; hey i'm buying this thing as our families primary vehicle and my wife will/does drive it daily w/ 2 kids. but this 81 was great, whoever got it for $2500 got a great deal--very nice/clean, i was looking all over the country for a good westy(w/air) and this was literally 2 blocks from my house and was worth at least a look. the lucky folks who did pick it up solved the hot interior problem by cutting a couple chunks out of both sides of the canvas and gluing bug-screen over em. they plan on replacing top any ways, been told. chris c

A valid point in your geographic area, but not mine. A vehicle without air conditioning is worthless here in Florida since it is unusable 9 months of the year as basic transportation. Heck, I used my A/C twice last week.

--- David Brodbeck <gull@CYBERSPACE.ORG> wrote: > I like A/C just fine, but I think it's kind of pointless on a Westy. Why? > I won't have it when I stop to camp, so why get used to it while driving? > It just makes the heat seem twice as bad when I finally stop.

Currently a chilly 51F.