Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Dec 2002 10:49:05 -0500
From:         jvol6321 <jvol6321@POSTOFFICE.URI.EDU>
Subject:      weirdness x 2: RE: Another weird noise from rear (85 Westy)
Comments: To: SStones <sstones@idirect.com>

Thanks alot for the ideas! An earlier respondent (don't have his name accessible right now) wondered about the fuel pump possibility as well, so maybe I should be trying some of the diagnostic techniques you and he suggested. (I didn't realize that the fuel pump goes through those charging cycles you mentioned, though, like I said, I'm pretty sure the whirring kicks in after ignbition.) I definitely agree with your sense that it sounds like something electronic. If so, it would not--by any means--be the first electical abnormality plaguing my van (and me).

As of a couple days ago, an older possibly smaller, but potentially much larger problem has returned and may have something to do with the coinciding rain we've been getting. Not sure but it seems to be a matter of the temp guage "crying wolf." After about 15 minutes or so of highway driving, the temp guage starts going haywire: it will abruptly shoot way up to the max (red warning light doesn't come on, though I think it's out, since it's also out at ignition), then moments later will return to normal, then minutes later shoot up again. If I pull over, turn it off, and then restart, it will return to normal.

If the problem's not electrical and the temp guage IS reading accurately, then these may well be symptoms of a head gasket problem, according to my mechanic. When this apparent/real overheating happened before, about a year ago, air was apparently getting into my coolant system (and disabling it) and since no other leaks were apparent, the thinking was that the source was the cylinders.

If the problem persists and the overheating seems actual, then I guess I'll bite the bullet and bring it in, though the last thing I need is a $1,000+ (non)gift to self.

Anybody else been through this saga?

Joe