Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Aug 2003 23:43:37 -0700
From:         Ty Graham <tyg@OZ.NET>
Subject:      Re: [Syncro] Unimogs, Pinzgauers, and Syncros, OH MY!...
Comments: To: euromog@aol.com, Syncro@yahoogroups.com,
          wetwesties@yahoogroups.com

Here's a quick page I made to give some idea of what John is talking about.

http://www.chow-graham.com/Ty/syncr0/mogfest.htm

Yikes, that's a lot of mud on his grill. I wish I had pictures of Tom Lengyel's runs to show. I do have pictures from the run I took in Tom's van with his brother (don't remember his name), but all you can see is sky or dirt. You can't really get a good perspective from photos taken inside the van, but we went up and down some very steep grades in a slightly modified Syncro. I have new confidence of what the van is capable of, even if I'm not.

Craig gave a great report. I have just have a few things to add. We all had a blast and can't wait for next year. We met some really great people, Mogers and wetwestians. Jim, Emily and the boys are the consummate hosts. While I had some initial reservations, The Mogers midnight rallying impacted my sleep not at all and really added to the not-just-another-campout ambience. I wasn't worried with my three year old at all - this event is more than family friendly. Any event where a little boy can throw dirt clods in a mud pit, watch mogs, learn how to pronounce Pinzgauer, swim in a river, bounce on a trampoline for dinner, then win a Unimog fire truck for dessert, gets my vote for event of the year.

We finished our weekend with a trip to Cape Lookout state park for an overnight followed by a great hike down the South Beach trail. Great beach, and no one was there. As we were leaving, we got to call 911 and then escort some poor couple who were freaked about anaphylaxis after five bee stings just within sight of the beach. Everyone was fine and Cyrus really liked all the rescue vehicles so it made a nice finish for the weekend.

TyG '91 Syncro Westy (only got dusty) '86 Syncro Doublecab (next year) '90 Carat (no rear bumper)

-----Original Message----- From: euromog@aol.com [mailto:euromog@aol.com] Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 5:11 PM To: Syncro@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [Syncro] Unimogs, Pinzgauers, and Syncros, OH MY!...

Craig did a great job covering the NWMF. To give you an idea of how deep the mud was in the last hole picture this; my front bumper was like a front end loader full of mud. Draw a line from just below the left headlight go across the grill and up over the right headlight. I was stuck in a suction of mud...lol. Even with help from a Unimog being pulled out I could not over take the pull strap until I was almost completely out of the hole. Tires, wheels, grill all gooped up with mud. The good news is that the river was right there to wash it off. First I had to scoop about 100lbs off the front bumper. Then with a bucket and LOTS of river water I kept rinsing and digging. Those louvers in the lower and upper grills can hold a lot of mud! After getting it rinsed down pretty good I made a few passes in the deeper water to cleanse the wheels, tires and undercarriage. It left a pretty muddy streak in the river.

The trail run the day before was fun and very scenic. There was one hill with some deep ruts down the center of the road that was fun but challenging. I know Tom could have made all the trails easily...he is fearless!! Other Moggers were jealous of the 7 seat passenger comfort, sunroof and a stereo system that could be heard while the engine was running.

I was having power steering problems so was not as active on the obstacle course as I wanted to be. I have finally figured out that my rack has some valving issues. I am not surprised as it is original with 189K miles on it. Sometimes while turning it will stall the engine and cause the belt to squeal. It also caused the just rebuilt power steering hose to puke fluid again.

I think there were a total of 6 Syncro's there and even more Westy's. They all circled there wagons to protect themselves from the "evil" Unimog drag racers...lol. Ahem, I was one of those doing the midnight drag races...lol. Even my Girlfriend, Karen had to make a few passes up and down the field. The SyncroMog easily pulled out from the Unimogs and even the Tiico motored Westy Syncro of Dave and Moe in one direction. The other direction the Westy and I were almost even. That thing sounds like a jet going across the field!

Karen also wanted to give a few obstacles a try. I first had her go down into the creek and back out. Then had her go up the 45 degree dirt hill in the berry patch. She did great for her first off-road diving lesson! She wants to do more now.....

I had lots of people, both Syncro owners and Mog owners ask about the SyncroMog. The wheels are turning on both sides. I think there are as many Unimog owners thinking about a Syncro as there are Syncro owners thinking about a Unimog. Dave and Moe have both (416 DOKA!). Next year I will have my Unimog fire truck there and maybe the SyncroMog too. Just have to figure out how to get both up there and back.

John Wessels European Motorsport 3985 First Street, Suite F Livermore, CA 94551 925-373-3878 http://www.euromog.com If you would like to modify your subscription settings (including unsubscribing), visit: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Syncro Please remember that rude or offensive language is not allowed on the Syncro list. Please try your best to resolve differences privately and keep them off the list.