Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Oct 2003 12:22:17 -0400
From:         "sam.cooks" <sam.cooks@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Electrical / Westy weekender 2nd battery questions
Comments: To: wolfsburg_campers@yahoogroups.com

Folks,

I recently acquired a 1985 Westy Weekender. I have accomplished the repairs necessary to get it inspected and on the road with permanent tags. So now I want to use it.

The van has a 2nd battery as I think is common to these models. The battery in there is a starter type battery - identical to the main one. (When it dies, I'll switch to deep discharge or golf cart batteries.) It seems to be good - disconnected from everything it reads 13 V on the multimeter (12.5 for the starting battery). What does it do though? Everything on the dash shuts down when the primary battery is disconnected. The van has the "silver" plug on the side of the front passenger seat, but that appears to be the only possible means of connecting to the 2nd battery. Does it power this plug? It seems I remember reading on vanagon.com that this plug doesn't work with the same adapters that fit the cigarette lighter and the usually DC accessories. Nothing happens when I plug two items in and it appears that the contacts points inside don't match.

So, how can I get some power out of this battery? If you have posted what you did to a website or one of the lists, just point me in the right direction and I'll look it up. No need to retype anything. I am mostly interested in having DC power available, i.e., more DC plugs in the rear, but probably also will install an inverter.

A PO installed a 120V box under the van and AC power can come in to a household type box mounted inside through an extension cord from a campground or home hookup (nice when you are working on the van), plus to another on the small shelf just inside the rear hatch at the rear of the AC unit.

I have read some of the posts / web sites of people who have had to install their own 2nd battery. I have a parts van (87 vanagon) and can take the fuse box, relays, etc. from it to use in this project.

Any help appreciated. I can solder and wire pretty well from my days of model railroading with my son, but haven't learned much about auto electronics, relays, isolators, etc.

Sam

-- Sam Walters Baltimore, MD

89 Syncro GL 85 Westy Weekender, new to me 8/01/03 84 Vanagon, original owner, soon to be retired, just too many problems

All incoming and outgoing email scanned by automatically updated copy of Norton AntiVirus.