Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Nov 2003 16:47:34 -0600
From:         All of Us <weber@OWC.NET>
Subject:      Re: Timing info....
Comments: To: Jesse and Monica Johnson <jjmojo@SUSCOM.NET>

Jesse:

When I first got "Miss Blue" my '87 GL (2.1L Digifant) I asked the list about how to set the timing and received absolutly no responses. Nobody was willing to take a crack at it. I already owned a Bently manual from when I owned my '83 Aircooled Vanagon and I also found the procedure for setting the timing very criptic and hard to understand. I believe it is written that way on purpose. I think VW wants people to think that they need "special" tool 1367 in order to set the timing properly on a Vanagon. If you believe it the dealer makes extra money because they are the only ones that can afford that tool.

My solution was to purchase a Haynes Manual in addition to Bentley. Haynes gives a simple step by step procedure for setting the base timing. You may need special tool 1367 to check total advance and the advance curve for different RPMs but basic timing can be done with a standard timing light. Here are the steps:

1. Warm engine to normal operating temp. 2. Shut off engine. 3. Connect timing light. 4. Connect tachometer. 5. Restart engine and run up to 2000-2500 RPM. 6 With engine running disconnect BLUE CONNECTOR from Temp sensor II. 7 Maintain engine RPMs at 2000-2500 and point timing light at timing mark. 8 If timing mark aligns with split line between crankcase halves timing is correct. If not loosen distributor and make adjustment.

Don't forget to retighten the distributor if you had to loosen it. Also, don't get caught up in the fan belts. I find that this is easier to do with a little help. I generally have my wife hold the fast idle using a tach and the throttle connection on top of the throttle body. I do the timing light and any adjustments needed. Works out pretty well but if you are trying this on your own you may want to rig up some device to keep the fast idle going while you work the timing light and make any adjustments. Good luck and if you have any questions p-mail me.

Dan Weber "Miss Blue" - '87 GL Weekender

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jesse and Monica Johnson" <jjmojo@SUSCOM.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2003 6:56 PM Subject: Timing info....