Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 20 Mar 2004 12:03:41 +0000
From:         Tony Polson <tp@WHSMITHNET.CO.UK>
Subject:      Re: Advice on 92 Eurovan
Comments: To: Alan Pickersgill <alanpick@MAGMA.CA>

Alan Pickersgill writes:

> I'm thinking about buying a 92 Eurovan GLS 180,000 km asking price $4500 Canadian - from used car lot. > Claim is that it is a one owner car traded to a local Nissan dealer and wholesaled to the used car lot. I may be able to get phone number and contact original owner? If so would like to have some good questions to ask. > Am looking for tips on where to look for evidence of common Eurovan Trouble - rust and mechanical.

Hi Alan,

I studied the Eurovan (T4 here in the UK) in detail before deciding to opt for another Vanagon - in my case a 1995 South African Caravelle 2.6i. The fact that the standard Eurovan is shorter inside than the Vanagon played a big part in my decision. The long wheelbase Eurovan is about the same interior size as the Vanagon, but is more difficult to park and it won't fit in most European garages.

That aside, the early Eurovan is no better made than a late (1990/91) Vanagon and suffers similar rust problems. Watch out for the wheel arches and body seams, which are at least as weak as on the Vanagon.

I also found that almost all early T4s had damaged rear bumpers. The rear corner sections are especially vulnerable and may be cracked even if they look OK from a distance.

Mechanically, they T4s are based on the well-tried Golf/Passat drive trains but the early auto gearboxes are weak. The 2.4 Diesel (non-turbo) engine seems to find that weakness at particularly low mileages (70-80,000 miles or 110-130,000 km) but that engine may not be available in North America.

Apart from those weaknesses and the usual concerns about any 12-year old vehicle, the Eurovan is a sturdy van with good ride and handling. However, I still prefer the Vanagon as my recent buying decision indicates!

I hope this is of some use.

Tony

1995 VW Caravelle 2.6i, 1985 VW Transporter 1.9 camper (both Vanagons)