Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 May 2004 22:40:02 EDT
From:         MO Jack '86 Westy <Jackandhank@AOL.COM>
Subject:      86 Van Clutch Prob? + Shop Kudos (semi-long)

So we're 2000 miles from home, in stop and go traffic in an area of Long Beach I would rather not stop in, and suddenly, I can't get the shift lever out of neutral without using both arms. After I get it in gear and push in the clutch, the ('86 Westy) vehicle either stalls or creeps. Sometimes the only gear I can get it into is 3rd, so I slip the clutch and start in 3rd. Being in Southern California, at any time there is a (can I say?) VW in view (you people there are sooo lucky), so I ask a very helpful young lady next to me at a light in a Vanagon to roll down her window, and I ask her if she can tell me who her favorite WV (that's what I'll use! - it looks right, but it's not) mechanic is. She has only had the van a year, but has already had the engine rebuilt, but wouldn't recommend the shop she used, but did say she talked to someone who seemed to know what he was talking about. She did not choose him because of the high cost, but she ended up spending that much in the end. The condition (any bets?) actually cleared up, so I didn't strain anything (on me). We went to the recommended shop, left it there, and nervously investigated Hermosa Beach for a few hours. Great beach town - ate lunch at a tremendous crepe restaurant. Get the call, go back to the shop. Could have been clutch master or slave problem, altho' I had looked in the dash and found the level fine, and they were both dry, but the diagnosis was (Ta-Daaah) pilot bearing on its last leg(s?). Recommendation: The clutch has a lot of miles on it anyway, and if clutching is kept to a minimum, we may make it back to mid-Missouri. We did, and the diagnosis was correct. Okay, how many shops would have gone ahead and charged the $65 diagnosis fee I signed up for? Not

BUGGE BUILDERS at 825 Pacific Coast Highway in Hermosa Beach, CA.

Said all he did was rack it and listen. Yes, but I know that many shops would not bat an eye about nailing me for some $$. Thank you, thank you, Bugge Builders. Besides which, he took the time to explain what the pilot bearing does, and why he thought that was the culprit. Didn't act like he knew something he would really not let me know, and had an awesome collection of die cast "dream cars". And gave an excellent lodging recommendation, Hotel Hermosa, at the top of a hill with an awesome beach view and about 60 bucks. Always nice to be able to recommend a shop.