Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Sep 2004 14:04:24 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Brake Fluid Capacity, 88GL
Comments: To: Matt Sutton <msutts@EARTHLINK.NET>

The fluid reservoir for the clutch system and the brake system is the same. Now would be a good time to throrughly bleed both systems. Get two liters of DOT4. Don't use anything else.

Suggest you bleed the brakes at this time as well. Not that they may be weak, but the fluid gets dirty and accumulates water condensation over time.

I got a long piece of clear plastic tube, put one end in a bucket on the ground, the other end in the reservoir, and a siphon going and siphoned the old stuff out.

After doing all the replacing work - in my case both brake master and clutch master, I filled the reservoir back up using a turkey baster and a a piece of that clear plastic tube attached. A hydraulic oil can with a piece of tubing on it would work just as well, but would be a little more expensive. The turkey baster rots out fairly fast, but the oil can can be added to your shop equipment.

I bled all systems the old fashioned way...... filling the tank several times and having some one pump the brakes and the clutch while I was underneath opening and closing fittings. Read brakes I had to get under the back of the van, but the front brakes I could do just by turning the wheels the proper direction for ease of access. I used a 20 oz clear plastic coke bottle and a plastic tube to collect the exiting fluid. I was amazed the first time I did this, at the junk, dirt, and WATER that came out. When I got a good stream of new clear fluid, I tightened the fittings.

Works good.

I have yet to replace the clutch slave. That one is not fun.

Best of luck to y ou.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver