Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Sep 2004 18:14:21 -0700
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Looking for SFBay Salvage Yard to Accept Van Shell
Comments: To: Craig Oda <craigoda@GMAIL.COM>

I am in SoCal but you can likely find something similar up there, perhaps in a less upscale neighbor hood than PA. I called around to various independent tow truck guys asking questions until I found one with the best answers. For a small fee he will pick up a vehicle in any condition and take it away, period. It does not need wheels mounted. Sometimes the entire Vanagon suspensions are missing, as well as all doors, engine, tranny, interior....One was even cut in halves, leftovers from my stretch project. If necessary he will put floor jacks and boards under it and drag it up onto his tilt bed tow truck with it's power cable hoist. Then he will say $50, I pay him, and he drives off. This has happened a bunch of times, often with my wife cheering loudly from the front door. He even lets me fill it up with whatever auto related junk/stuff I want to be rid of that the municipal waste haulers won't touch.

Tow truck guys know where to take things for the lowest cost. I'm sure my guy actually gets paid at the other end too. He sometimes eyes parts I leave on as though he can sell some of them.

Mark