Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Oct 2004 18:28:40 -0700
From:         jbange <hfinn@INGRATES.NET>
Subject:      Re: lock yer doors without keys?

> I have come too close to locking the >keys in, and I still haven't got around to getting a spare key...

As a locksmith, I recommend getting a spare key made and put it between the license place and the flip-down oil/water filler door, held in place by one of the license plate fastening bolts through the hole in the key. Easy to get to when you need it (undo the wingnut, pull the bolt out, down drops the key), and it won't fall off or be found by thieves* like those crappy magnetic hide-a-key boxes. I can't tell you how many times I've slammed the locked slider door shut with my keys sitting on the back seat! P.S. this trick also works for most non-Vanagon cars, but the Vanagon is well suited to it because it's just a wingnut-- you don't need to find a screwdriver or fiddle with a penny in a slotted bolt to get the key loose.

*Even though thieves don't usually spend any time feeling around looking for spare keys (they usually just look for already unlocked cars, or just break a window), we sometimes have to appeal to our customers' paranoia to get them to make sensible choices. I'm frequently an idiot and lock my keys in all my cars, but I have a well-placed hide-a-key, a key in my wallet, AND a key behind the license plate on ALL my cars. There are time when I've forgotten to put the hide a key back and locked my keys inside WITH my wallet. License plate key very handy then.

John Bange '90 Vanagon "Geldsauger"