Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 Feb 2005 09:21:39 -0700
From:         jimt <camper@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon on ice?

On 2/17/05 8:53 PM, "Yosh" <yosh@MAX.HI-HO.NE.JP> wrote:

>> From: "Chris S." <mrpolak@YAHOO.COM> >> http://www.knology.net/~vw/iced%20vanagon.jpg > > Chris, > > Now, my town is 46F. I tremble by the coldness. > Was this brick made intentionally? Locations? > > I can't believe! > > Yosh@87Westy/west 50 miles of Tokyo > > When I was a kid in northern minnesota we had an ice storm. They are kind of pretty to look at but exceedingly dangerous. Even with a small storm we lost power to areas of the town and streets were wiped out for days.

When stationed in central nebraska in the early 80s there was a small one there. It turned roads to ice so fast that in a 20 mile drive I went from a light mist to severe fog. That fog was condensing and freezing on the roads and everything else. When we made it almost home (had to park at the bottom of a hill because no way to get up the ice on the hill) and we got out of the car, everything that was not warmed had about a quarter inch of ice on it. Everything in town had about an eighth inch of ice on it.

In about 98 in canada they had what I think was the worst ice storm ever recorded. The rain freezing on everything lasted for about 4 days. Took a month to get power back into most areas. Houses destroyed, telephone poles collapsed, main power distribution towers collapsed, etc. they had a thing on TV about that one a couple days ago.

Ice storms are a rather strange occurance and mostly will happen along large bodies of warmer fresh water.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• jimt Planned insanity is best. Remember that sanity is optional. http://www.tactical-bus.info (tech info) http://www.westydriver.com