Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 Feb 2005 15:42:31 -0800
From:         Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: 86 Vanagon for sale in SF $200

I was told recently by the CA DMV that the fees/penalties are now capped at three years. The DMV won't record your release of liability until they have registration from a new owner or the salvage paperwork- this also according to the local DMV office. Also, they may mention due fees on vehicles you have when you're in there trying to do something else, but they won't hold a new registration or what-have-you hostage to get the fees. There seems to be no enforcement whatsoever as long as the car isn't on the road. My experience with junking/parting is that you turn the title over to the junkyard when you give them the car and they 'take care of it', meaning they turn the title in with whatever paperwork they generate to show that it's been salvaged. It's a good idea to follow up on them, IMO. What most folks do is either non-op the car (ten bucks) and part it and try to talk a yard into taking the carcass, or if the reg is current, just do the same thing and turn over the title to the yard with the car. If the yard doesn't want it, it becomes a yard sculpture or a target. I don't know what the legalities are on that, but when's the last time you heard of anybody getting busted for parting out a car? We don't have to use a notary for a car sale- what a PITA that must be.

Cya, Robert

----- Original Message ----- From: "jbange" <hfinn@INGRATES.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, February 20, 2005 1:59 PM Subject: Re: 86 Vanagon for sale in SF $200