Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 Oct 2005 09:25:54 -0600
From:         jimt <camper@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO>
Subject:      Re: Heaters: Propane vs. Gasoline vs. Diesel

I used a webasto HL-18D (diesel) for one season. The problem I had was that you had to modify the fuel for high altitude extreme cold use or it put out very little heat and massive amounts of smelly smoke.

I tried/examined various smaller propane systems and a couple gas heaters. The newer webasto gas heaters worked the best and are very small and compact putting out from 6500 to 12000 btu depending on version. but were way to pricey.

The propex works nicely but didnšt fit my needs. Then I also went to a suburban 19k btu LPG unit. Very miserly on the battery use and with the van insulated a bit it actually is quite miserly on the fuel as well.

For tucking out of site.. Benzene (gasoline) would be webasto heaters. Very efficient. For LPG the best would be the propex for hiding in small space. For diesel the webasto is the most commonly found one. They are basically the same as the gas ones.

Also for tucking out of site there are "water" instead of "air" heaters. Webasto makes some of those. Most are very pricey and is why I am not using one. These are used just like the small ones on the old canadian syncro that came with them or as stand alone units with their own dedicated coolant source and heater cores. These are not too bad on batteries from the fans but the water pump uses up current as well. Some of these units are quite small at the heater/pump end (outside the vehicle using gas or diesel) usually less than 12 inches long and about 10 inches around. And in the vehicle usually only one or two small heater cores with fans on them. Even single heater core setups of 30k btu are possible. Some of the big boy RVs use these systems rather than propane central furnaces. Much quieter.(much pricier)