Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (January 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Jan 2006 20:51:02 -0700
From:         Richard A Jones <jones@COLORADO.EDU>
Subject:      battery meter--lighter plugin--worthless

Here is a nifty, plugin battery meter: http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/car-alarms/unbranded-car-battery-meter.asp [I can't quickly find a link to a US source, but....]

I have 2-3 of these. They were first sold under the Escort brand; now more generic. Anyway, DON'T BUY ONE(!)

Using these sent me down a path of error--believing that battery voltage was temperature dependent. For example, just now one of these says the battery in my Syncro is 10.3 volts or so. This at a temp of about 35 degrees F. What I finally learned is that if I use my digital voltmeter, it will tell me 12.5.

These nifty gizmos are extremely temperature dependent. I don't know why, but if they are not at 70 degrees or so, they are worthless.

[I finally learned this because I became involved with the photovoltaic light system at a Colorado Mtn Club cabin at 10,600' in the mtns. The batteries there are 15-20 degrees F this time of year. I thought, because of this nifty gizmo, that they should read 10.x, blah, blah. Well, no! At 15-20 degrees, the 12.67 volts of a fully charged battery will read 0.3 volts lower, so most solar people ignore temperature dependencies all together. So instead of buying one of these at $15 (?), go to WallyWorld and buy their digital voltmeter for $12.95 that will give you correct readings.]

Anybody want to buy one of these neat gizmos from me for $20? ;-) Or should I put them on Ebay?

Richard A Jones Boulder, Colorado