Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 May 2007 09:01:09 -0400
From:         Benny boy <huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: More Conversion engine stuff.

My SV1000S (V-Twin) http://www.benplace.com/moto/sv1000s16.jpg as about 70f/p of torque and about 115 hp

There is 2 problems with motorcycle engine, even the bigger one that have more than 160hp and over 100f/p of torque (like the GSX-1300). The need for high RPM to produce power (peak power is often obtain around 3/4 of the red-line) and the "Fragile/frailty" engine parts (rods, pistons, crank) are not design to push/pull heavy weigh but design for high RPM, you would probably break a rod in a few miles trying to push a 7-9 time heavier véhicle. Even the biggest V-Twin would break, V-Twin have the most torque,

but still.

Boxer engine do produce a good low torque, i think that one of the most impressive engine out there is a Boxer, the Honda Goldwing engine, started as a 4cyl 1000cc in 1975, and today, it's a 6cyl at 1832cc, one of the most reliable and smoothest engine that i have ever seen. I have seen Goldwing with more than 250k miles on it, remember, it's a motorcycle! Before, most motorcycle engine were not built to last, they were built for power, in the 80-90, a sport motorcycle engine was pretty much done at 20-25k miles and in

need of a rebuilt. I have worked at a Honda dealer (Bike's) and i was alway amazed by that engine. And remember, this engine as withstand time... and still, it's design to rev's in the 9000 rpm range.

horizontally opposed engine have everything for them, it's just a question of physic. Yea, i know, some of you will tell me that gravity does's do good

to a Boxer engine. I simply don't agree. An old Honda mechanic (still a friend today) told me about how horizontally opposed engine works... he was telling me that story how everything feel nice inside, you should here him tell that story, i real good mechanic, we don't see guys like him today. Here is just one sentence that i always remenber...

"""Those pistons lay down on a nice and even red carpet of oil, pulling and pushing each others like a ballet""" (it's the best English translation i could make)

in the late 70', Honda put out a engine/bike to enter the V-twin class, mostly to beat Harley at the time, so they came out with (at that time) a very small, stange and powerfull engine, the CX series bike, the engine was 500cc, TRANSVERSE V-Twin, and, with a Turbo, yea, it was the first of it's kind. At 82hp, it was quite somthing at the time. Believe me, i have owned one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03tL05MI2A4

Or, ihave to show you a last picture, talking about rusty engine: http://www.benplace.com/gpz/gpz4.jpg

Anyway, that was my morning story, i hope i haven't bored anyone.

Motorcycle engine was my way into mechanic, i just love them.

Regards, Ben