Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Dec 2007 21:31:20 -0700
From:         "Gary Lee www.vwrack.com" <gary2a@TELUS.NET>
Subject:      Re: Buying Vans on e-Bay

>When the hackers and crooks can hijack ebay listings, overlay them >with fraudulent links that redirect to dummy cover sites that allow >crooks to rip people off for #20K I would and I would say reasonably >so, conclude that ebay has a security problem.

eBay's site was not "hacked" to hijack the account. An ebay user unwittingly divulged their password to the crook. The crook then logged into the users account and set up a three day "buy it now" sale for $17K for a 2006 bmw valued at $65K. It was not an auction. The buyer paid for the car by wiring the money directly to the crook. The buyer paid the crook directly, not through paypal. The crook had some story about getting a divorce and needing to liquidate assets quickly.

>It is the weakness in ebay security that allows this to happen.

It's more a weakness of human nature, imho. Who would reasonably expect to actually be able to buy that type of car for that cheap? Remember, it was not an auction but a fixed price sale. If it sounds to good to be true......... you know the rest.

A hacker exploits weaknesses in a web site. A phisher exploits human weaknesses (greed, naivete or just not knowing better). If eBay's site was ever hacked, eBay would be at fault. If a phisher is able to get you to divulge your password, who's fault is that? I'm not saying that I've never slipped up. A couple months ago I logged into my ebay account incorrectly, fortunately I realized immediately and changed my password right away.

For it's part, eBay should do more to educate people about how to log into their eBay accounts securely. NEVER log into your ebay account through a link. Thats how the crooks get your password.

Never reply to ebay email that arrives directly in your email inbox. Carefully type www.ebay.com into your browser, then log into your account, then go to "your messages", then reply.

Gary