Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Jul 2008 08:20:21 -0400
From:         Mike <mbucchino@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: 88 4sp starter trouble
Comments: To: RAlanen@AOL.COM

IMHO, a starter is a go/ no go item. It either works or it doesn't. Hopefully you've done some basic troubleshooting before you replaced the starter, to correctly determine exactly what is wrong. Am I correct in assuming that you have eliminated the ignition switch, wiring and connections as possible sources of trouble? If (after proper troubleshooting) you bought any used part, and you bolted it in, and it doesn't work, take it back out and return it. It's junk. No mystery there. It does sound like the solenoid internal contacts are burnt, and not relaying 12V to the motor during engagement. As a side note; if removing and replacing a suspected bad part is how you troubleshoot, that's your problem. Parts replacement, as a method of troubleshooting, is never the correct way of repairing anything. It's expensive at worst and lazy at best. If you pay a mechanic to perform work this way, you're throwing away good money. A good mechanic is not just a hired pair of skilled hands, he is, most importantly, an informed, knowledgeable, thinking pair of brains. When he ceases to think, troubleshoot, consider other points of view, or just have an open mind in general; he's dead in the water. He's wasting your time and money, while assuring himself of job security and lining his pockets.

Mike B.