Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Jul 2008 09:23:07 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Dometic won't light troubleshooting
Comments: To: Thomas Jefferson Kitts <thomas@thomaskitts.com>

Double check wiring to/from AC/DC panel switch (I see no reason why these would be wrong..... unless the PO did something wrong) Confirm if switch ok.

Are all the ground wire contacts clean? Are all the wires to the plastic terminal block gooten tight and clean? On my 182B there is a green wire from thermostat housing to multi point ground connector at upper rear of fridge housing. Though I don't see it in the little wiring diagram on fridge, I assume this wire is required. Is this present and connected on yours'?

A thought. IIRC, the thermostat only works on AC and LP. My guess would be that if you test it on 12V, this would eliminate the thermostat as a problem.

Is the sensor (narrow tube) that slips into the slot on rear of aluminum "cooling" unit contacting the metal of the "cooling" unit? And is the little white piece of rubber (silicone?) present? A dental mirror might help to suss this out. You don't want to pull the "cooling" unit off. Removal *may* nessecitate renewal of the mastic between the black cold tube and "cooling" unit. If you do remove the "cooling" unit, make sure you install it correctly. i.e. DON'T have the LH end of it slipped over the lip at end of cold tube. This unit needs to make as much contact to cold tube as possible. Hence the mastic. Proper minimal application of the mastic will fill the gaps and provide better overall contact.

For the 12V side of things, you could connect wires to a 12V bulb to check for presence of 12V. For 110 AC side, if you have one of those residential wiring type "beepers" that may suffice to trace wires to confirm that 110AC is present.

Can you feel if the 12V and 110AC heater elements start to get hot? Compare them. Do they get to the same temp? (not sure how you would measure this though..... IR gun?) I would imagine that these elements get dang hot, so beware!

If the elements are heating up, then I would suspect a chemical problem, the thermostat or the thermal sensor to/from thermostat and "cooling" unit inside fridge.

Cheers,

Neil.

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 11:50 PM, Thomas Jefferson Kitts <thomas@thomaskitts.com> wrote: > Well, took a few moments to take apart the burner assembly to see if there > was anything obviously wrong. > > The piezo igniter was firing, sparking every time, though I tightened up the > gap a little anyway. > > I unscrewed the gas nozzle from the box and it looks free and clear. Can see > a little dot of light when I look inside and nothing seem clogged. The long > thin tube it fits into, the burn chamber I guess, about the length of a > cigarette with little slots on the rounded end did have a small spider > cocoon in it but it was small and I cleaned it out. Couldn't see that > blocking air or propane and preventing ignition. > > I blew air though the propane pipe leading into the burn chanmber and I > could hear it flowing at the switch where I had previously disconnected it. > So that part of the piping was free and clear too. > > The square assembly the burn assembly fits into looked pretty clean and > soot-free so I don't think the failure to fire up on Propane has anything to > do with the fridge not working. > > --- > > I then pulled off the heat shielding above the burner, where the 110 and 12 > volt wires go down into the so-called hot area. Pulled away the insulation. > Again no visible breaks or disconnects there. > > I don't have the electrical tools to test circuits so I'm stumped. > > Can't run the Dometic on gas. Can't run it on electricity. So what now? > > Any ideas? . . . > > Thomas >