Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 20 Jun 2009 15:26:01 -0600
From:         Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: No Lo/Hi Beams
Comments: To: aatransaxle <daryl@aatransaxle.com>

Just got home .... too much rain down in that area ... and up here in SLC! ;-)

This is really weird AFAIC .... Second day in a row the "no headlights ... but have the aux Hella 550's" when the headlight switch is turned on. The high beam blue dash light is on when the switch is turned on, but no lights except those Hella's. AND .... the next (I'm winded ... PO just brought my new Glori/John Wessels drive shaft and I carried it up the stairs) .... anyway, next morning the lights work fine. So, I'm not going to use the high beam switch for "flashing volks" until I can check things out. When this did its own "fix" 2 days ago, it was me flashing another van with my radio on, that made the radio buzz/static noise and as soon as I checked the lights immediately after that, the problem had returned?!

The hella's are wired into the high-beam system so they normally come on with the high beams. This is the complicating weird part, but maybe makes the diagnosis easier?

I think a good move will be to make the Hella's independent and use a separate dash switch for them (I have that in place now) and wire/fuse them directly to the battery with their dedicated relay.

And yes, grounds for all those lights up front are at the steel firewall up front.

bob