Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Jul 2009 18:54:50 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Brake work pictures
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>

all right. very important it slides smoothly on the guide pins of course. to push back the piston on those.......I use a giant pliers , on the caliper, with the caliper 'floating' ............like brake hose still attached, but caliper not bolted down. my comments in my other post still apply , except where it's about the two piston design.

I like to put the teeny-tiniest amount of copper based anti-seize on the edge of the pads...... where they slide and rub in the caliper. I use that same stuff fairly generously on the caliper pins. I always, as Jim suggested,......put 'Disc Brake Quiet' on the back of the pads

I at least check front wheel bearing play or looseness. if those have worn, and there's some play .........like the edge of the brake disc can be moved ( 'tilted' ) some ..... I can't see how that can help brake performance or brake life. So wheel bearings have to be at least half-right.

another tip ....... brake pads need to be broken in some. I would suggest using them 'medium' during the first few hundred miles. that's not excessive hard braking, not lots and lots of very, very light braking. it's using them 'a little more than usual' a few times now and then.

and.....since excessive light braking contributes to brake squeal, I tell everyone to use the brakes once in a while, to about 60 % of their ability ...... maybe 70 % ........in other words, 'work 'em a little once in a while'. Keeps them working better, and less of a tendency for squealing to developed.

the really correct way to replace pads is ..... new pads, turned or replaced discs, new brake fluid . If only pads are installed on used discs.... if that works, fine, And it often does. but when it doesn't ............and you know you should have turned or replaced the discs with the new pads in the first place... when you get the new discs, only run them with new pads. Those other pads you got two week out of ......can't use 'em . Not if you want really good brake performance. lately I have started using PBR Low metallic front brake pads. on my first set ( on used discs ) they worked extra, extra good for a while..........like really slow down hard with authority ...... then that affect went away after a while and they feel more 'normal' .......that's on my 85 Weekender with two piston early type calipers. Now I'm going to try them on my 85 Adventurewagon that's for sale , see how that goes. my 'normal pad' is PBR Deluxe. ( aka Repco Deluxe ) .............I've installed hundreds of sets of those over the years.

have fun and do meticulous work ! Scott www.turbovans.com

Scott www.turbovans ----- Original Message ----- From: "John Rodgers" <inua@CHARTER.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, July 24, 2009 5:02 PM Subject: Re: Brake work pictures