Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Dec 2009 08:21:20 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Tach install..aftermarket into 84 Long Post

Hey all, I've long wanted/needed a tach rather than the analog clock that came with in the 84 chassis I have. My little Mouse Motor, an inline VW 1.8liter gasser seems willing to rev and rev...Kinda curious as to where I am shifting it, etc.. So I've collected up a couple of dash foils and two junker dash panels with various operating switches, dials and gauges. Found the write-up on swapping it all to get it to work and I've 'started' this Analog Clock for Tachometer Project a couple of times. So far I've only been successful in acheiving the primary goal that Doctors and First Responders use when they try to help: Whatever you do, first, "Do No Harm"...

I get (3 tries, so far) my existing instrument cluster out and stick that on my bench, side by side with the other old used ones, the Bently book, folded to the proper pages with the "14 pin plug" listings for some vanagons, the write-up from the Old Volks guy detailing how to go about moving around all those tiny wires, a test light and a digital multimeter, mini screwdrivers and tiny little pliers, etc etc. I've even found the proper teriminal on the coil and run a wire forward to carry Tach signal.

But every time I get ready to start hacking into the 14pin plug and moving around teenie little wires, swapping out the fussy foil connectors and all that, I decide to try with my test light, etc. to see if I can actually assure myself that my van will still be able to work as well if I follow through and attempt my "fix" as it does now. But usually something does not actually conform to what's "supposed to be" as far as I can determine, given my poor understanding of wiring, etc.. I spend about half a day, puzzled and frustrated, with little alligator clips and test lights, diagrams and freezing fingers and then I "chicken-out" (come to my senses?) and re-install my 84 cluster, unaltered..."Do No Harm"...Me Smart!

I was in the Big Chain auto parts store recently and happened to see a display of cheapo gauges. Equus brand. From China, I suppose. A 2 3/8" tach, illuminated, for $39, US. I brought one home. Yesterday, after trying all the same stuff with the wires and foils, the VW Tach (this time I couldn't get the needle to even move on that one, but I did get an impressive display of glowing plastic foil and smoke)..I installed that cheap-o aftermarket one. It works fine and fits unobtrusively above the steering column, with a bracket I pop-riveted onto the instrument cluster in that blank space (where the digital clock must go on some vanagons) between the speedo and the analog clock... I took the power from the two 'remote' fuses next to the main fuse panel. I got the light power supply from the White and blue wires coming off the rear of the headlight switch.

It all works fine. I hate it that I couldn't get the VW Tach to install...But at least I didn't destroy the wiring or disable my working van with some dumb mistake behind the instrument panel. The Tach I installed came with a one year guarantee and an 800 customer tech number. The used VW one I was trying, from The Samba, cost me $45 and is what, ~15yrs old? So I guess I will never get $60-80K for my van as a 'Perfectly Restored' Go Westy style unit, sometime in the future.."when it's all finished"..But next week, when I head South to the warm and dry desert I'll be able to see how many revs I am turning as I go over Deadman's Pass on 395.

Or, I could stay home and try one more time to get the OEM Genuine VW tach to work in my 84 brown inline van....Put off traveling until everything is "Just Right"....Nah!

Don Hanson