Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Aug 2010 18:46:15 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Is it Calming to Drive a Vanagon
Comments: To: Donna Skarloken <dskarloken@gmail.com>

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 1:43 PM, Donna Skarloken <dskarloken@gmail.com>wrote:

> My normal driving is in and around the SF Bay Area so that can make you > nuts, although Seattle traffic was on the verge of making me even more > stressed, which was difficult to believe. Does anyone on the list live in > Lynwood? > > Buckarette >

Well, SF does sort of take the prize, at least on the west coast. My racecar engine builder had his shop in Belmont, just south of SFO and I had to often go there towing a 26' long car hauler trailer with my Ford Diesel and Alaskan camper on that. He was always 'behind schedual' too, so when I would have a race on Saturday somewhere around Central California...I'd show up mid day Friday, to beat the traffic...he would promise that the car would be done by noon....I would still be there at 4pm, trying to get out to Laguna Seca or Infineon (Sears Point) for the Saturday morning qualifying...It was nice to race with a reasonably rested body and mind...which never happened with that guy doing my motors....Then I decided to try a guy in Wilsonville, east of Bellvue....Almost as bad, but at least he was only 5hrs from my house not 11 like Belmont, Ca. I found it quicker to haul through Yakima and over Snoquallamie Pass, go through Carnation and get to his place via the Back Door...

I once took a wrong turn, headed from Belmont to Sears Point raceway. Ended up right downtown in the City, smack dab in the Haight with this long long racecar trailer and no freaking idea how to get out, to get across the GG or the Bay Bridge or anywhere else...A couple of city cops, riding dual sport cop bikes pulled up at a stop sign and go..."You lost?"...I go "Duh" they go "Follow us, we'll get you back on the freeway" and they proceeded to send one guy ahead to hold traffic at intersections while the other one lead me right to an on ramp.....I coulda kissed em....it was S. F. after all... One local racer guy was at Infineon for a race and we were headed the next day to Laguna Seca..down by Carmel. He said he was going to go to Sacramento and Stocton and cross the mountains near Gilroy to "beat the traffic"....That was about 200 miles extra, but he swore he would save time....

Ugly stuff, that bay area traffic. (friday off topic) My van works ok there, though...Since it is usually stop and go...I can go back and get drinks, play with my dog, whatever...A lot nicer than trying to work traffic in a rig that is about 40' overall and with a Porsche decal that was bigger than my whole vanagon...... Don Hanson