Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Sep 2010 07:50:47 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Inline 4 VW gas Vanagon motor work in progress

I'm reworking my '84 low-top sort-of-westie 5-sp van's motor. I got this van about 3yrs ago with a 92 Jetta/Golf/Rabbit 1.8 liter 8-valve inline four motor already installed, diesel vanagon-style, by the PO. I've been really happy with it, it has performed remarkably for me for appx 45k miles so far. I've averaged 23.6 mpg. When I first got the van, through unfamiliarity with Vanagon cooling systems, I caused the motor to overheat (no cooling system 'air-bleed'...duh) following a coolant flush. I did a "quick and dirty" headgasket swap (4hrs, including installing a camshaft) and headed out for the desert SW..Since then ( almost 3yrs and about 30k miles ago) I've had no problems until recently, when I lost coolant with a broken hose.

This coolant loss and subsequent overheating caused another leak in my (Q&D) headgasket..Tossed in some Barr's Leak and began gathering parts for some serious work, long-deferred.

I found a complete low mileage Jetta (93) ABA 2.0 liter motor for $300, including all the accessories. I'll be gaining some power with this larger bottom end plus having a motor that I, personally, know the condition of after I get it done.

So far this swap has been pretty simple. It's fortunate that many parts and systems are interchangable between the VW inline motors, and many are also shared with the original WBX systems in the vanagon. There are many many resources out there for parts and tech advice when it comes to the inline vw motors...but not so much on the swapping of inline gassers into Vanagons...Not like the Subie Vanagon list..I guess there just isn't much to it...

anyhow, I put up a few pics on my Picassa page (below) with some captions..For those who may be interested in how this "mundane" non-boutique motor install looks as it goes along. Should cost me less than $500, before I re-sell all the extra parts to get that money back...I am hoping for 2.5 Subaru-like power with inline VW dependabiltiy, simplicity and fuel economy..

http://picasaweb.google.com/dhanson928/InlineGasEngineSwap#

Don Hanson