Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 13 Aug 2011 14:38:43 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      [derivative} vanagon content

This is not directly Vanagon related, but inasmuch as electrical problem require a certain amount of work over the years, and given the numerous camping equipment upgrades done to our Westies, here goes:

Over time I have seen reference to using the ratcheting style connector clamps, but never gave it much thought. Recently, I had to help friends who got in trouble on an installation contract deadline when an employee suddenly quit on them, so I helped out part time and probably did about a hundred connectors of all kinds. I was using some old-style cheap crimpers and strippers I've had for 30+ years. When I got to use the company's new stuff, I tossed my old ones in the trash. They didn't even make it to the "reserve" or "give to someone who needs it" piles.

I replaced it with two pair of Klein Tools stripping pliers that together strip a wide range of wire sizes. I also ordered a ratcheting crimper from eBay. The pliers are very high quality, though, and do a superb job. < http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270797113662>

Just a thought if you do your own electrical work. Throw that crap away and get something good. There is a world of difference in the results and the time you will spend.

Jim