Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Aug 2012 11:31:39 -0400
From:         Mike S <mikes@FLATSURFACE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fwd: Gear box oil - Redline MT90 or Swepco ?
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

On 8/28/2012 11:06 AM, Don Hanson wrote: > Oh yes..... I know many many of the experienced racers and builders > of racecar gears swear by Swepco...Daryll says it's good, too.

I'm sure Swepco is fine. Maybe Daryl is around and will add something here, but this was from him in the archives:

"I get what little Swepco I use from a Porsche shop near me as they have a 30 gal drum of it." - http://gerry.vanagon.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0811c&L=vanagon&F=&S=&P=1131

"Many of us have been using Redline for years with no issues... Some of the hype on the syncro list is valid for higher power engines... mostly 165 hp and up..Like the 1.9 Diesels and the 3.3 subie guys...The Porsche guys I deal with mostly all use Swepco..but thay also change it several times per race season and they hold up well that way.." - http://gerry.vanagon.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0905b&L=vanagon&F=&S=&P=30044

"I have been a fan of the Redline stuff for years...It has CURED more cold shift problems than I could shake a stick at...Not caused them from my experience and customer reports...Esp in colder climates. There may be some brands of the syncronizer ring that need a thicker oil to function better..but the Laso german ones I use love the Redline...I suspect some of the cheaper rings might have an issue,( but no first hand proof) Any synthetic is going to be better than the dino oil of old as far as bearing life and stability at higher temps..." - http://gerry.vanagon.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0703b&L=vanagon&F=&S=&P=33162

"Use MT90 for the vanagon" - http://gerry.vanagon.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0204e&L=vanagon&F=&S=&P=10998