Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2014, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Sep 2014 13:38:35 -1000
From:         "SDF ( aka ;jim lahey' - Scott )" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Coolant Pump: wear at case
Comments: To: Steven Shelton <shelton4@GMAIL.COM>

I LOVE West System two-part Epoxy .. and use it to repair all kinds of things.

I like to mix some shavings of something in with it to make a super strong matrix.. to repair a VW engine block I'd mix aluminum shavings in with it until I got just the consistency I want.

I even patch concrete with this stuff.. ( like a 2 inch divot say ) I mix teak sawdust into the epoxy .. that repair is so durable ( and sandable ) ..I call it Thermo-nuculear Concrete .

Especially mixed with any shavings of metal or very hard wood .. killer stuff !

Personally, I'd rather have a tiny bit of uneveness on the water pump impeller face in the block, than risk having anything come loose in there. scott

On 9/27/2014 1:58 AM, Steven Shelton wrote: > The last time I replaced the thermostat on my 1.9 liter I was alarmed at > the pitting on the inside of the aluminum thermostat housing. I don't know > how likely it is to perforate but I have wondered if it would be a good > idea to coat the inside with something to protect it from further > corrosion. Thanks, Neil, for the link to West System. I sent them an > email asking if they think their product would be applicable for a cooling > system repair. I'll let the list know what they say if they respond. > > On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 7:25 PM, Neil N <musomuso@gmail.com> wrote: > >> A list member kindly pointed to this company: >> >> http://www.westsystem.com/ss/repair-kits/ >> >> They have an "Aluminum" repair kit but then I think the WBX case and heads >> are >> made of magnesium or some kind of alloy? >> >> Just a thought. I likely won't delve into repairing the wear. >> >> Neil. >> >> On 9/26/14, Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> wrote: >> >>> That wear is from a past water pump failure....... >>> A good epoxy can fix this. >> >> -- >> Neil n >> >> Blog: tubaneil.blogspot.ca >> >> '88 Westy http://tinyurl.com/c8rlw6p >> >> '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ >> >> Vanagon VAG *Gas* inline-VR Engine Swap Group: >> >> http://tinyurl.com/d7gd5ej >>