Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Sep 94 14:08:58 PDT
From:         dan@jrs.com (Danny Dayton)
Subject:      Baja Surf Trip Report (was New HEY!!!)

> Whatever happened to that Baja trip you were going to make in that bus? Those > of us who drive buses AND surf wanna hear the details! >

Well, bruddah JR, I wussed out on taking the bus. Actually, the guys (mostly strangers) in the three other cars weren't willing to drive 60mph, and they knew where they were going, I did not. Also, I'd only had the bus a few weeks and the large oil leaks were making me a bit hesitant anyway. Lucky thing too. The washboard dirtroads (about 12 miles worth) would've shaken the crap out of it. The extremely dusty red dirt would not have been fun to clean out of all the freshly leaked oil splatters, either.

As far as the trip was concerned, it was fairly close to being epic had the surf been larger. I drove my 85 Honda (gack!!) Accord (gack!!) beater and outraced the three dirt virgin 4Xs that went along. These guys were serious wusses. The Honda beater turned out to be an absolute jewel for Mexico.

We arrived at our destination, Quatro Casas, 165 miles south of the border around 10am Saturday, with 4 beers already ingested (all on the dirtroad that leads to the ocean). My buddy only had to jump out once as we nearly got stuck in some powdery sand close to shore.

Quatro Casas (not to be confused with Quatras Casas farther south) is a cold water right point that lines up for 200-300 yards. I was told that on huge days it connects to the next point for a total of nearly 400 yards. Not too shabby. Dirty dirt and red ant camping is done on the edge of an 80ft bluff that serves as a perfect grandstand for the surf. The location is around 2 miles north of Robert's Place (named for Mr. August of Endless Summer fame) and 5 miles north of Shipwreck's/Freighters. ShipWreck's was flat the entire 4 days.

Quatro on the other hand was chest to head high plus the first 3 days with never more than 4 other guys in the water besides the 9 goons that our group totaled (of which never surfed all at the same time). Definitely a longboarders paradise, I averaged 35 long backhanders each day. The place has very cold water though, and a HUGE amount of kelp through the takeoff sections. This stuff was thick and nasty and would ruin some killer waves about 15% of the time because of its grabbiness. However, the kelp more than pays its way there, as the place stayed glassy all day long.

Oh how I would LOVE to see this place when its big. Next time though, I'm taking the Happy Bus.

Stay Wet, Danny D. 60 microbus