Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 Nov 1994 19:49:07 -0700
From:         mtooley@indirect.com (Matt Tooley)
Subject:      Westy 3-Way Fridge Questions

Having become the new owner of an '80 Westy I have been trying everything out getting it ready for its first trip. The first thing I discovered after filing up the propane tank was that the main valve leaked when you opened it. This required a trip to the RV service place for them burn off the propane fuel so that they could then replace the valve and fix the remaining leaks in the system. UGH!

Anyway, I got it back and figured now I could try out the propane fridge. I followed the direction carefully in both the owners manual and on the fridge itself. I couldn't get the pilot light to light (or at least the flame gauge to show that it was lit). The fridge seems to work when I plug it in to the 110V.

My questions are:

1. What do I have to do to get the pilot light to work?

2. It appears I need to take the fridge out to service it, so is there any trick to getting it out or do I simply remove the obvious screws, LP gas fitting, and unplug it and then slide it out?

3. Is there a good manual on these Dometic fridges? I went to our library I didn't have much luck.

My initial hunch is that the ignitor for the pilot light isn't working. I could hear a mechanical click but never saw a flame in the little window in the fridge. My second guess is that the orifice at the end of the gas line is clogged and not letting enough gas out. Third, I guess it could be the hand pump wasn't evacuating the line.

The van apparently sat unused for a few years in the Arizona dry heat causing many of the rubber fittings to fail. Still discovering which ones don't work.

Any tips on getting the fridge to work would be appreciated.