Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Apr 1996 01:51:41 +0000
From:         Charlie Callahan <charliec42@ilinkgn.net>
Subject:      $50 Bug and How NOT to tow one (long, scary)

It all started with a question..a friend had a couple of bugs, a 67 and a 71 super he had got to switch chassis. Some time ago I informed him of the differences, he was sad to find out. Well, time passes.. turns out when inquired, the 67 is gone and I can have the 71 for $50. Well, I went to look at the thing. Basically dissassembled would be the definition, hoods, seats all in a pile in a box. Somehow the actual attaching bolts and screws are not currently found as of now.. :(

Anyhows, other than rotted out heat channels, some related qtr panel rot, this thing has only what I'd call 'measles ' surface rust. :) no cavities. Component wise, I can only say, pouring brake fluid in created a equal volume on the ground just about as fast. the parking brake worked, though.. In the middle of this measles-infested area of the engine (there's a bee's nest in the muffler- a plus; an extra muffler was included :) I popped a valve cover. It was like a time warp. That thing is factory-spec clean, just looked utterly out of place in the rest of the dirty, was VERY careful refitting.. dead engine? or just in need of tweaking? only time will tell..

Whatever, that head looked perfect, as opposed to the sludge basin I have been cleaning out by the chunkful out of my klackety 85 vanagon engine, with a bad case of quacker state sludge..

Suggestions for melting said parrafin crap, let me know, it's all over that thing! @@!

I'm past my limit for now on vw's, with rebuilds waiting on two cars before they'll even run right. :( 50% isn't bad, I guess :) So, I really couldn't buy it..

But I knew I friend who wanted a bug. And he used to drive a bus years ago, and didn't blow it up.. :) He needs something like this to divert fooling around with his 81 scirocco, which he'd be happy to sell.:) especially now that he's bought this one!

Now, here we come to the stunt portion of our broadcast .. Towing: Don't tow it without someone steering. Yes, we tried it, but our towing contraption fell apart at a safe (?) juncture suitable for rethinking this tow.

And Just How Insane The Previous Approach Was:

Had the chain length been a tire width longer, we would have lost the thing over a ditch. Suffice to say you can visualize the part in 'the love bug' where herbie is split in two, swinging from side to side? That's the effect.This thing was not going to work... Then the whole contraption fell apart just as a major rainstorm blew (and I mean blew!) in. Just as. Major. Thunder, heavy winds, and me and my friend hooking up the chains in the middle of the road. Not too busy a road, though.. :) How weird was it? A car ran out of gas 300 ft in front of us just as we're doing all these hookups in the rain.. Well, ya had to be there. It was weird. And wet.

We finally chained it up, through the spare and with me steering. I think I might have been more relaxed about my first free-falling tow steer had the speedo not worked so accurately! Did I mention the brakes didn't work? Well, the emergency brake did. Fortunately, it was not put to use. The next day, we re-lashed everything, with a couple of spare tires lashed to either side of the spare, used that as a cushion. Heavy,heavy chain connecting the two cars. I prepped and sat in said bug for 90+ miles steering and enjoying the odd stares from people.. :)

God loves the idiot, and our ventures were quite idiotic..It is a wonder that the bug didn't fly off the road on the first attempt....

The chain-tires approach worked better. The final tally on damage: One front fender squoosheed, vents in bottom twisted :( But all that was from the previous kludge attempts. What an adventure, now, the boring 'fixing' things.. Ah well, gotta stop and start somewhere. This should be an interesting bug in a few months..

Charlie "stunt driving" Callahan

P.S. One of our earlier towing adventures involved towing a automatic bug backwards 320 miles on a dolly..