Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Jun 1996 09:36:35, -0500
From:         TVCR50A@prodigy.com ( MICHAEL G BENTHIN)
Subject:      Re: Driving Cross Country Advice...

quoting tomstory: I plan on doing 60 or so to keep the temps down. At what temps should I pull over and let it cool? I don't have the time or money right now to add an outside oil cooler. I think I might drive at night mostly to keep it cool, but drive during the day coming back since I'll be with my brother and we're going to do alot of stopping and sightseeing. Re trip in 77 Westie with rebuilt 78 eng.... ___________________________________________________________________________ ____ What, you worry??? I took off in the July heat last year in our 78 Westy with 150,000 mi. on orig. stock EVERYTHING but clutch disk (pulled it as insurance, old one was still good..), and went 10,000 mi. in 6 weeks, including 120 deg. Las Vegas heat (you should have seen the watercooled's by the road between LA and Vegas) and some pass on way to Yellowstone that nearly fried the front brakes on the downhill! It needed a quart of oil at least every 1,000 mi., and survived the heat, based on the "can you hold the dipstick in your bare hand without dropping it.."test! We really drove at night only the first one, because we left late and wanted to make it past Pittsburg from NJ....What to bring? Well I used TUFOIL additive (have for last 8 yrs), took along spare fuel pump, tubing & clamps, injectors, "brain", hydr. lifters, airbox, double relay, greasegun, tuneup stuff, and a case worth of oil scattered in crannies...needed only the oil, grease, and to replace the points, since rubbing block fried (cheap Brazilian pts!), ran still with 85 deg. dwell and 13deg. or more retarded (wouldn't idle or go up a hill too well)! Blocked off anything going to or from heater boxes, made sure engine seal and associated gaskets were complete, and drove it at 65 on most flats, 2nd gear on some %#$@*&% grades and 75 on some steep downgrades. Still puttin at 168,000 miles.. Suggestions- clutch cable spare (unless recently replaced), also gas cable, points, timing light, wire with big alligator clips each end (for starter woes), voltmeter (to check fuel injection, batteries), grease gun with "hypodermic' end to grease any area that leaks (ball joint boots for me, or cv boots)- lots of duct tape helps seal these from the elements......MB in NJ