Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 13 Jul 1996 15:27:59 -0800
From:         tbf@pacifier.com (Todd Francis)
Subject:      Re:  My Volkswagens-an EPA Danger (a response)

At 12:46 PM 7/12/96 -0500, Ron Lussier wrote:

>Would you be willing to sacrifice your old VW's for the right of children to >breathe easily? How about for the right of your children to have a >reasonably cool climate and polar ice caps? > >Your father fought to protect people, which is fine and good. But there are >many people in this world who are only interested in their short-term >pleasure. This is why we need government regulation. People (in general) >don't care about long-term dangers. They don't worry about the collapse of >the ecosystems if it occurs five generations in the future. And many don't >care at all as long as they're getting personal pleasure in the short term. > In response I would say: You are missing the point. Vehicle Emission Testing is not about "clean air" now or in the future. It may have started out that way with someone having an idea about how to get rid of smog. But it is now big-business, run by corporate America with the help of over-zealous regulators at all stages of government. Thinking to the contrary is incredibly naive. Here in Vancouver, where they tested 10,000 cars (4 years old and newer) and only 39 failed, we suggested that in doing those tests, ecology was probably creating more pollution than they eliminated. The Dept. of Ecology was incensed. They told us that they didn't look at it that way--they only looked at the number caught, not the percentage caught. At first DOE (Dept. of Ecology) said they could not stop testing the 10,000 newer cars, because they had promised Envirotest a certain number of cars to be tested, and they could not go back on that promise. When we got a copy of the contract with Envirotest, which showed that was a lie--there was no promised amount of tests; then DOE changed their story saying those 39 cars if allowed to go on polluting, would cause so much pollution (in a population of 300,000) as to make the difference between having a pollution violation or not. Never mind the fact (and even the mechanics at Ecology agreed) that the newer cars probably run so badly if they are polluting that they would have soon been taken in for repairs, even without the test. The newer cars are said to be in "limp" mode when their emissions are messed up, because they hardly run at all. And so they will continue to test those cars 4 years and newer.

Now, as to your question about giving up my precision VW if it would allow children to breath a little easier: If that were the case, I probably would. However, you are forgetting a couple of things:

First of all, Vancouver has never had an ozone violation.

Also, here in Vancouver, and I believe it is the same throughout the country, the purpose of polluting less with cars is so industry can be allowed to expand in a given area; i.e., not "less" pollution, but pollution from a different source--all with the blessings of EPA and DOE. The rhetoric about children, ice caps and a fragile ecosystem is just that. When scientific data can be offered that proves these things, you will get my attention. But data collected by computer modeling is only as good as the statistics that were put into the computer in the first place; and since a large part of those statistics come from extrapolation and speculation of facts unproven, this data is faulty and should not be relied upon too heavily. We need scientific evidence.

Another thing you should consider is the unfair burden this system of vehicle emission testing places on low-income people. The EPA acknowledges that the new IM240 test for vehicles may be so stringent that only cars 4 years old and newer will be able to pass it. And while you and I may be able to afford a newer car, or to have our vehicle regularly maintained, there are a great many people in the country who cannot. And I think we would all agree that cars are as important to low-income people as they are to us--perhaps more so. They must have a way to get to work, the store, and the doctor. And while smog may affect the lives of children, I think having their means of transportation taken away or eliminated, or even made more expensive through car testing definitely affects the lives of children--especially those least able to afford it (talk about taking food out of children's mouths). I have taken our local city bus a few times, and I feel sorry for anyone who has to rely on it as their sole means of transportation.

Vehicle emission testing, at least here in Vancovuer, is nothing more than a way to take money away from the citizens and give it to Envirotest, EPA and our local Department of Ecology (who get a portion of every fee Envirotest gets).

Please don't take the above to mean I don't like clean air. I think all people want clean air to breath. But the way to get it is through new and better technologies. The fleet of cars is upgrading and getting cleaner every day in this country, through natural attrition. And if Ford or someone else comes up with new ideas (such as the smog-eating radiator), industry and citizens alike will clamor to institute their use. We must each do whatever we can to clean up our environment--I for one try to keep all my VW's in good working order. So far, none of my VW's has failed an emission test. But that doesn't mean we act like good sheep and have our cars tested without question. At least here in Washington, car testing is a mindless bureaucratic solution to a clean-air non-problem which is grossly inefficient and taxpayer abusive.

So for now I will continue to fight for the right to drive and keep my precious VW's and stop the EPA's efforts to the contrary.

Todd Francis tbf@pacifier.com '86 Westy Syncro Vancouver, Wa