Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Jul 1996 09:48:47 -0500
From:         cmoran@cswnet.com (Colin A Moran)
Subject:      Water boxer cooling

Hello everyone I just read the post that Jim Davis wrote, about vanagon cooling systems. My cooling system was put to the test, on the 2 of July, I drove through the Ozarks. Temperature was 101 is Springfield Mo. I had been driving through steep grades. The engine temp was between 180 and 190deg. Later in the day I drove through Kansas City. The temp was in the lower 90's. I was caught in a traffic jam on I430 just over the Missouri Kansas line, due to an accident. Traffic crawled along at 5 to 10 MPH for about 25 minutes. While the engine temp did climb it never reached 220deg. When traffic started to flow the engine temp began to drop. I had been driving at 70 to 75 MPH for about 2 hrs previous to the traffic jam. The engine and oil where thourghly heat soaked. I don't think that the water cooled vanagons have a design error in the cooling system. If it is maintained correctly it does what its supposed to do. IMHO I only saw 4 VW busses on my trip. One was a burnt orange bubble window, one was a pea green splitttie, and the other two where vanagons. I waved at all and recieved not a singel response. I did see a eurovan based winnabago, but that is that still considered a bus? On July 15, Markus wrote that he had trouble with the starter not working when the key was turned. I had a similar problem over the fourth. When I tried to start the van nothing happend. I could tell by the volt meter that somthing was consuming power. I pulled the starter out when I got home and checked the solenoid. I found that a build up of grease or oil mixed with a little dirt, was preventing the solelnoid from operating correctly. The core would not travel far enough to make the switch and run the starter. I cleaned up the inside of the solenoid and it workes fine. I have'nt figured out where the oil residue came from yet. It could be from the bendix. The number for the solenoid is, BOSCH 0331 303 056-556. I had trouble finding a source, just for the solenoid. FLAPS only listed the starter and solenoid together at about $160.00. Well enough rambling for now. Colin A Moran

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull sh*t.

'86 Syncro GL