Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Dec 1997 08:46:38 -0800
From:         Björn <bratjen@DIRECT.CA>
Subject:      Re: Water & Coolant & leaks

Hello,

Interesting info re. coolants etc. in this thread.

Kit Carter is right, to assume that there is only one kind of water in Europe or North America is preposterous. I also take manufacturers information with a pinch of salt (after all they want to sell their product). As we it is recommended to always use phosphate free coolant (which starts out in blue color from VW or Autobahn) because of chemical reaction with the head gasket. Unless you do a prior analysis of your water and study the chemical reaction with the surrounding materials (which may take some time) use phosphate free coolant with the waterboxers.

Here is another tip:

My head gaskets began dripping at 120 000 Km. I added "barrs leak" can$2.50, replaced the coolant once and added another bottle at that time. My engine has now 235 000 Km and is still running. Seems to be a good cost/benefit ratio.

Björn

78 Bus (Reimo and self-camperized) (82 Vanagon Diesel) 87 Vanagon Synchro (est alia Camper) 95 Passat GLS Diesel

At 07:58 AM 09/12/97 -0800, you wrote: >'Lo, Volks >Having read the excerpt from Prestone's pitch re the use of phosphate >free coolant in Europe because of "the high mineral content" and that >"we do not have this type of water problem (in North America)". Lest we >think that high mineral content does not exist in NA, it can and does >(exist). Water is a great property in that it has the ability to hold >and carry properties other than its own makeup of hydrogen and oxygen. >The simplist example is how it works with soap. Another is how moving >water carries sediment. Anyway, water "takes on" whatever it can, if >present and this includes minerals. I don't know anything about European >water quality, but I do know that water quality in NA can vary greatly >from location to location and that somtimes includes highly mineralized >water. In other words, water quality can vary greatly and may or may not >contain minerals to varying levels, even in North America. The point of >this diatribe is to not assume that the water you use is low in minerals >or free of them. IMHO, the use of distilled water in a wasserboxer is >the way to go. If I go with the spendy VW coolant (and I do) then why >not go with distilled water too? > >Kit Carter, 85 Westy GL >Old certified water treatment operator ><HTML> >'Lo, Volks ><BR>Having read the excerpt from <I>Prestone's</I> pitch re the use of >phosphate free coolant in Europe because of&nbsp;<I> "the high mineral >content"</I> and that <I>"we do not have this type of water problem (in >North America)". </I>Lest we think that high mineral content does not exist >in NA, it can and does (exist). Water is a great property in that it has >the ability to hold and carry properties other than its own makeup of&nbsp; >hydrogen and oxygen. The simplist example is how it works with soap. Another >is how moving water carries sediment. Anyway, water "takes on" whatever >it can, if present and this includes minerals. I don't know <I>anything</I> >about European water quality, but I do know that water quality in NA can >vary greatly from location to location and that somtimes includes highly >mineralized water. In other words, water quality can vary greatly and may >or may not contain minerals to varying levels, <B>even in North America.</B> >The point of this diatribe is to not assume that the water you use is low >in minerals or free of them. IMHO, the use of distilled water in a wasserboxer >is the way to go. If I go with the spendy VW coolant (and I do) then why >not go with distilled water too?<I></I> > ><P><I>Kit Carter, 85 Westy GL</I> ><BR><I>Old certified water treatment operator</I></HTML> >