Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Mar 1998 14:06:36 -0800
From:         Old Volks Home <jim@OLDVOLKSHOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: propane regulators and Propex heaters
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

At 11:58 AM 3/27/98 -0800, Mark McCulley wrote: > >Apparently all Westys come with a rectangular 2-stage regulator. It appears >that my regulator has been replaced with a circular single-stage regulator, >which is the standard Marshall Model 230. I understand that 2-stage >regulators are used for safety purposes (if one stage fails you have a >backup that will keep your stove from becoming a blowtorch). Should I >replace my single stage regulator with a two-stage regulator? ****************************** Mark -

I'm no propane expert, but I think someone was trying to be cheap when replacing the original 2 stage regulator with a single stage style on your vehicle. In talking with a lot of RV suppliers here in Northern Cal, I am under the impression that the single stage regulator is illegal to sell or install into a motor home type vehicle for just the very reasons you have mentioned. Early US Westies 74 to about mid 76 originally certified for the single stage regulators installed, then went to a two piece regulator (each a stage) in late 76 thru 79. US and California Certification regulations then mandated a 2 stage regulator in a single unit for the 80 thru 91 model year. I would most definitely replace that single stage for a two stage regulator now, if not sooner.

Jim Thompson 84 Westy 2.1 * 62 Beetle * 90 Fox Wagon Check out our latest cool stuff at: http://www.oldvolkshome.com ------------------------------------------- Check out the Odd, Weird, One of a Kind Items For Sale On the "OddBall Page" http://www.oldvolkshome.com/oddball.html ------------------------------------------- Our Website is totally redesigned for ease of your use. Now in "Frames" or "No Frames" format: Frames - http://www.oldvolkshome.com/frames.html No Frames - http://www.oldvolkshome.com/homenf.html ------------------------------------------- Now use your VISA, MasterCard or AMEX at: Sherwood Automotive * The Old Volks Home PO Box 176 * Palo Cedro, CA 96073-0176 (530) 221-5342 (Voice or Fax) jim@oldvolkshome.com jim96003@c-zone.net