Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Jun 1998 12:58:17 -0400
From:         Gregg Scharff <scharff@ENG.KNS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Driving w/ noisy lifter??
Comments: To: Malcolm Stebbins <Malcolm.Stebbins@MSVU.CA>
Comments: cc: vanagon@vanagon.com

Malcolm Stebbins wrote: > > My 91 Syncro sat for one week (while I fixed the accelerator cable) > and when I started it up early this evening, it started giving that > classic - no oil in the lifter - racket. I thought the noise should > go away after a few (5) minutes of idleing, but it didn't. > > Can I drive the van a short distance with the racket? or should it > not be driven at all if the lifter is clicking (FWIW it's one of the > cylinders on the right side). I checked the oil level and all is OK. > > I'm at my apartment and I only have email (2400 baud) and no web > browser, tomorrow I'll check the archives from the office. > > Thanks Malcolm Stebbins

Malcolm,

My '85 Westy has the same problem: vehicle sits for a week and upon starting up it exhibits the "typical" vanagon" lifter noise (coincidentally on the right side of the engine). I can not say if any damage occurs by running the engine to let the lifter fill with oil, but I typically have to run mine at highway speeds for approximately 15 minutes before it quiets down. I have done this at least 4 or 5 times since I bought it in March and no catastrophic damage (roadside breakdown) has occurred. Internally, what is happening is that the pushrod is impacting the top of the lifter because it is not filled with oil expanding it to take care of unnecessary clearance in the valve train. This impacting could eventually wear down the pushrod end but not to the severity of running around full time needing a valve adjustment. To lessen the occurrence of this I try to drive it every 3 - 4 days (my Westy is a spare vehicle), before the lifter has a chance to drain down. I guess the safest solution is to identify the noisy lifter and replace it.

Gregg (Conshohocken, Pa.) '85 Westy