Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Nov 1998 19:39:34 -0800
From:         Christopher Lovelace <laceman@PACBELL.NET>
Subject:      New 90-Westy owner
Comments: To: vanagon@VANAGON.COM

I just bought a 90-Westy at an Auction here in socal. Not a bad deal at $2675.00! I thought. Three days later the trany fails me. Its an auto so there goes another $2000.00. The engine is a fresh rebuild and runs like it. I took it to Bugs-R-Us (BRU) in San Diego for a pre-buy inspection(actually a post by), they found it to be in good shape. Compression a little low all the way around but consistent throughout. I found out that this Westy was a one owner (Retired Navy Captain and his wife) bought in Nevada and used it to go between Nev and Fla. It had 176580 mi on it when I bought it. Interior is a little soiled but otherwise Perf. The body is slightly damaged, looks like someone sideswiped the drivers side. I had to put a manual mirror on for now. So now comes the part where I need your help out there!! While sitting, before the Auction this poor 90-Westy was striped of a few things, hope you can help. The biggest thing is the LP gas tank and controls from underneath. Everything is gone. I have found three in the parts yards -82,85, and an 87 but don't know if they will fit. Also my 110 circuit breaker is gone and cant seem to find one, any suggestions?? All my fuses and relays were gone but found most of them. One thing though... My A/C doesn't work, but when the radiator fan engages while city driving the A/C fan will work if I do have it turned on?? Any thoughts?? I know its alot, but you know how new owners can be, especially one that has never owned a Volks before. Thanks for your help in advance. Chris