Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Feb 1999 19:09:58 -0800
From:         Doug Jones <duge4wd@EMAIL.MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: 2.1L Wasserboxer Power Rebuild

Ken, no flames here!!! I agree 100%.

You can easily view engine rebuilding as an art because of the dynamic nature of the medium. We've all seen fanastic Chuck Barris cars as children which are considered by some as automotive art; but, some of them (and many other customs) are only changed in the static parts of their existence. This is much more easily done in comparison to building a dynamic work which must continue to function after the repairs are completed. Much like a physician, a rebuilder cannot cut corners for the sake of the aesthetic or for financial reasons b/c the work will ultimately suffer. A doctor cannot (should not, and let's not get into HMOs) look at medicine from the bean counter's perspective, only from the perspective of essential medicine...primum non nocere, First cause no harm. An engine rebuilder should do the same b/c the engine is the dynamic centerpeice and heart of the vehicle, without it you have a static, non-mobile automobile...a useless contradiction of it's prime purpose...to move.

Doug Jones [philosophical rant over]