Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Jul 1999 02:08:33 -0500
From:         Budd Premack <bpremack@WAVETECH.NET>
Subject:      Re: HELP NEEDED - Cooling System Flushing
Comments: To: midwesty@midwest.net, rountree@planeteer.com,
          larry_avery.johnson@sympatico.ca, gusgram@htiarchitects.com,
          cgotts@juno.com, firestream@mindspring.com, Bill Dummitt
          <Williamd@compuserve.com>

The cooling system of the 84 GL was properly flushed on Friday morning, in time for the anxious buyers and their kids to take possession and head out for their innaugural weekend of Vanagonering.

The job was completed by repeated applications of the bike pump technique with a cold engine. Without the need for (or availability of) any assistant, I was able to add about 6 ounces of coolant each time I pumped a few strokes on the pump. After an additional 1/2 gallon of coolant replaced the unwanted air, I was finally rewarded by observing coolant trickling out of the radiator bleed screw. Initially the engine ran a bit hot, but the new owners properly followed instructions and added coolant through the fill tank until the system stabilized. They report that the temp gauge is now reading smack in the middle, and the coolant level seems to be holding. I cautioned them about checking it frequently to be sure that all stays well.

It occurs to me that I may have been the cause of much of my own problem as I initially filled the system when the van already had the front end raised. I suspect that this allowed much more air to stay in the system than would have occured if the van had been filled while level, and then had the front raised for flushing purposes. Many thanks to the six Listees who e-mailed me with helpful suggestions about flushing the air out of the cooling system. A special thanks to Bill Dummitt who took the time to call and offer his expertise. This is a classic example of the helpfulness of the List.

Happy 4th of July to you all! Budd Premack 86 Syncro, 73 Super Minneapolis, MN (Land of Sky Blue Waters)

[text/html]