Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Jul 1999 14:31:16 -0400
From:         "Cort, Joel" <Joel.Cort@USA.XEROX.COM>
Subject:      N.Y. Finger Lake Camping ? NO VW Content other than camping!
Comments: cc: "ad793@FREENET.CARLETON.CA" <ad793@FREENET.CARLETON.CA>

Frank and any others coming to NY from Ontario,

Niagara Falls is the gateway to Western NY state. But first you have to get across a bridge to the states. The best bridge to cross is the Lewiston Bridge because it is not as busy with the truck traffic. OK so now you are in Niagara Falls NY and where to go? If you have already seen the falls from the "good" side you may as well head North and visit Fort Niagara in Youngstown at the confluence of the Niagara River and the big arm of the Finger Lakes - Lake Ontario. Lake Ontario is vast and like the ocean from this side of the lake. There is a very scenic two lane road that will take you from Youngstown to Rochester following the lake.

From Youngstown you will reach the harbor town of Wilson (with a real good restaurant - Wilson Boat House). If you look back there is a nice view of the skyline of Toronto across the lake. (hey was Gordon here when he wrote those lyrics?) From Wilson you can continue along on Route 18 through Olcot (watch the Speed limit) through some nice orchards and lots of fruit stands. You can even pick your own blueberries near the Sommerset power station - look for signs on the north side of the road.

Let's see continue on route 18 to Kuckville, this is your last gas station until Rochester about 50 more miles. A few miles past Kuckville is the Lake Ontario State Parkway, which is a great unfinished thruway. Hop on the Parkway for 15 miles to Hamlin Beach State Park. This is a good place to camp with nice sites, clean, organized and patrolled. This is on the shores of the lake so there is swimming access and also a nice areas to take walks. From there on you can continue East on the Parkway to Rochester or since you are a train enthusiast head South to Route 104

Make your way to the Ridge Road Station The largest independent toy store in NY state with a really cool train track system in the store that you could get to run. Lots of neat train accessories. They are located on Route 104 in the town of Holley at 16131 W. Ridge Road (716) 638-6000 Route 104 runs parallel to Route 18 and the shoreline. Just along the ridge of the a receding morraine of the last Ice age.

If you feel like stopping in Rochester and need advice on various ethnic places to eat or want to have a cool beverage and talk VW and life (or is that life and VWs) give me a ring. (716) 377-4161

Ok for a campground around the Finger Lakes, my map show a campground around Keuka Lake near Dundee. Lakeview - Dundee 40 sites with NO dump station/electric/hot showers/swim/fish/boating. Which could be good in a Westy this will keep those Allegro/Winnebagos campers away. It should be real close to Kueka lake shore so you could cool off there. Lots of great views of the rolling hills and lots of nice vineyard visits around that area.

The next area south with campsites are near Bath and Savena near Highway 17 heading south to Penn. Let me know and I can provide you further info if interested.

Another really cool area is the Letchworth State Park, although there aren't any campsites there, there are some nice hiking trails, waterfalls and river rafting along the Genesee River. This is the Grand Canyon of the East. The Genesse (name for the US version of beer made with the water) is one of the few rivers that flow to the north in the US. There are some nice organized rafting tours available with pickup and delivery. Not too difficult and kids really enjoy it.

Let me know if I can provide you further details on any area.

Thanks,

Joel Cort 89 Syncro Westy

Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 05:37:03 -0400 Reply-to: Frank Condelli <ad793@FREENET.CARLETON.CA> From: Frank Condelli <ad793@FREENET.CARLETON.CA> | Block address Subject: N.Y. Finger Lake Camping ? To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM

I'm traveling to Pittsburgh, Pa. from Ottawa the end of July and usually go through the Finger Lake Region of New York. I would appreciate any insider info on "good" spots to camp for a day or two. Also if any of you list members want to make a meet or get together let me know. I will be leaving Ottawa on Friday, July 30th. Should get around the Finger Lake Region by early to mid afternoon.

Cheers

Frank

* Frank Condelli * Almonte, Ontario, Canada * * ad793@Freenet.carleton.ca * '87 VW Westy, '69 MGB & Lionel Trains http://members.aol.com/RAlanen/index.html