Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Jul 1999 22:52:11 PDT
From:         Tony Peet <tpvw@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Fwd: camping in Colorado?

The campground at Mesa Verde National Park (CO, near Durango)is in a really nice setting and near a few trailheads......in August it may be crowded, and there ARE lots of sites, so it may not be what you are looking for. Many options in terms of hookups or no etc. I loved Mesa Verde as an introduction to the Anasazi culture -- and the experience of approaching the Mesa and driving up it and looking down from it is awesome.........like camping in ....heaven Ie in the sky. Do a search for it on the web and get more details to see if its to your liking...

Since I am on the subject, I will also mention that the campground in Monument Valley (AZ,UT) has got to be on the Top Ten Places to camp in a Westy. For around $10.00 a night you are right SMACK in the middle of the MOST scenic views of these HUGE rock formations -- and the nearest hotel is miles away at over $100/night with views that don't even come close. The facilities at the campsite aren't great, but aren't bad either. If you are even slightly wondering whether you made the right decision to buy a Westfalia Camper, this will banish all doubt. (Hyperbole warning light is on.)

(FYI Monument Valley and the campground are on Navaho Nation land and access etc is run by the Navaho).

Tony