Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Sep 1999 20:33:06 -0700
From:         David Snyder <dsnyder@GOODNET.COM>
Subject:      Re: Two Tranny Questions
Comments: To: Dom <dmoon@metz.une.edu.au>

Pretty much the first time doing a disassembly. I replaced disassembled the tranny and replaced the reverse gear in my 1975 Super Beetle but that is pretty much the extent of things. I did not have to take the cluster apart to stop it from popping out of reverse.

Why am I taking my Rabbit 5 speed apart? I was replacing the clutch and when I removed the speedometer cable, the speedo gear, instead of coming out on the cable dropped down into the tranny. I figured, no problem, I'll drain the tranny and move it around until the gear comes into reach. No so luck. OK, I'll take this end part off and then I'll have access to the bottom of the tranny. No access- OK, I'll sit it on the bell housing, and unbolt the case half, retrieve the gear, inspect the syncros and bolt it back together.

So far so good. I don't think I'll have trouble putting it back together but I don't plan on disturbing the main gear carrier. The only tricky part that I see coming is getting the gear selector assembly set up correctly.

Should you do it yourself? Let me finish this project, then I'll say "Give it a shot" or "Don't even try it". I have an ace in the hole- I know of a shop that I can take the gear cluster in to if I really have problems and they'll set it up for probably under $100. I had my 5 speed in my Rabbit Truck rebuilt in another shop and it cost me $850 US. I really love it and it's absolutely worth it but that's a lot of money to shell out for me. I've never owned a VW that I could put into first gear while it was still rolling before now. Hopefully, when I'm done, I'll have two that have working 1st gear syncros.

Another note, except for the 12mm multipoint and the 5mm multipoint, no special tools have been needed. Book show a gear puller being used to remove 5th gear but mine just lifted off. I'll keep you and the list posted on my progress

Dave

-----Original Message----- From: Dom <dmoon@metz.une.edu.au> To: David Snyder <dsnyder@GOODNET.COM> Date: Tuesday, September 21, 1999 1:56 AM Subject: Re: Two Tranny Questions

Dissassembling your 5speed eh.

Well, I would love to hear more about this I have rebuilt my own engines but have never tackled a gearbox Is this your first time? Are you using any of the VW tools. Would you recommend it to a (gearbox) novice

Sorry about the thousand questions but my 5speed is dropping out of second and I would give it a go if I thought it was achievable. It would save me about $AUS1500.00

Dom :) ----- Original Message ----- From: David Snyder To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 1999 2:42 PM Subject: Two Tranny Questions

I am currently disassembling my 5 speed A1 tranny and I have two questions.

To remove four bolts in the tranny, I need a "5mm Multipoint" tool. It looks like the multipoint we use on CV boot bolts but it is a 5mm. Does anyone know where I can get one of these? Autozone, Pep Boys, Checker, Napa have all been tried. They carry a set that has 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, and 12mm but no 5 millimeter. I have also tried BAP, the local VW parts house to no avail.

Second question, when I put the tranny back together, I wish to use Redline Synthetic. What product do you all recommend? What weight oil?

Thanks in advance

Dave Snyder

[text/html]