Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Oct 1999 03:14:18 EDT
From:         Kevin Dawson <Calwolfie@AOL.COM>
Subject:      (no subject)

Hi all, I've got a couple off questions that I would like some input on. I've wanted a 90'-91' Muti van for a long time but could not bring myself to pay the price they are going for. So, I'm going a different route. I have purchased a 87' Wolfsberg 1/2 camper with a hurt engine and a 88' Wolfsberg that had been dinged on the rear drivers corner. Total out lay thus far is 4K. The 88' has far more deluxe stuff (alloys, Carat side moldings, heated power mirrors, tach cluster, rear wiper, upholstery, rear bench w/headrests, larger VW emblem on the grill, unfortunately the jumpseats and the power lock motor were already picked by the PO but I can't complain) on it which I'm in the process of swapping to the 87.' I'll sell the 88' off later although it will be an ex-wolfie. In this manor I hope to come close to a later Muti-van but without the cost. I have restored several small British cars so I'm hoping to build on those experinces to complete this project. I love this list as it has been a big help on getting up to speed on issues and resources. I want to Thank you all in advance because you've already been so helpful in just already participating in this list.. I've already learned a lot. First Question- The 87' is stick and the 88' is an auto...I must be getting old because I think I would prefer to drive an auto.. we have lots of bumper to bumper traffic in So Cal...I've look at the problem physically and while it would be work I think I can swap the mechanical...and the hydrolics..but what about the electricals..is the harness that goes to the shifter on the auto transferable? Are there other consideration I'm not thinking about? Second Question- On refrigerant upgrade..I've read through the tech articles but have not seen any discussion concerning if the stock hoses have the proper barrier to contain R-134a. There is quite a bit of useful information concerning this issue in general from a Company called Vintage Air, located in Texas, they specialize in a/c kits for hot rods and classics. The Vanagon has the "aeroquip" hose type no. on the side so I suppose it would be possible to cross reference and see if it has the right material in its construction..has anyone else looked into this? Third Question- The Engine... to rebuild or to swap.. I have tried to read everything I can find concerning both directions and I'm still stumped. From an economic stand point it seems to make more sense to rebuild the orig. engine..not cutting any corners...about $2500....change the coolant regular like..but that just doesn't seem to guarantee any thing. I am attracted to the I-4 swap but even that is not clear cut ... I hate the smog police here in California... and its going to just get worse... for that reason a swap would have to CARB approved in some way... I don't want to have go to a state referee every two years..I'd rather go to a dentist..the SA kit looks nice but as of yet does not use a O2 sensor.. does that mean it runs open loop like my old 76' Westy did.. I don't see how that could ever get by state inspection on a 87' spec requirement vehicle... what about the program on the Prom in the Motronic system? Is it flexible enough for a heavy Vanagon if it was originally intended for a light Golf? Does the shift points of a Vanagon auto need to be changed to match the power curve of the I-4? If so how? Shave the governor? Awhile back someone asked the list for their suggestions on what engine to swap and it seems that about five responses were for the 5 cyl. But of these responding how many had actually done this swap themselves? I would love to hear from people who have actually bitten the bullet and done the swap..how they did it...what they did right..what they would do different...the costs involved...how they have dealt with emissions inspections.

That should be enough for now. cheers, Kevin Dawson 87' Wolfie 1/2 Camper Muti-van wan-a-be 88' soon to be ex-Wolfie 74' Triumph TR-6 69' Triumph TR-6 89' Iszuz Trooper II LS - Nice but will have to go after the 87' project is finnished 89' Honda accord SE-i the wife's car..what can I say ..she's the sane one in the family...thank God she loves me