Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 18 Sep 2004 14:51:17 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Exhaust Pipe Question / No Question for Me

> I have to agree whole heartily with George on his analogy of > anything bought after market, be it from JC Whitney, or the > BD. ... Nothing is better than a factory dispensed replacement > part,... The factory original equipment pipes lasted 14 > years. I replaced them all last year. They will be good till > the year 2018.... Why go for the JC Whitney / Bus Depot made in > Taiwan / Bangladesh / Korea pipes that maybe will survive > just 4 to 5 years at best? ... And for a muffler that fits perfect, has > a lifetime warrantee, the Walker muffler is the best deal available.

Now I'm utterly confused.

You state unequivocably that "nothing is better than a factory dispensed replacement part", and that buying anything else result in poor fit and quality. Then you proceed to wholeheartedly recommend a Walker muffler - which is aftermarket - saying that it "fits perfect" (sic) and is "the best deal available." (I'm sure it does fit perfectly. There are several excellent replacement mufflers available for the Vanagons, all of which are far cheaper than the dealer one and some of which come from the same factory.)

You then say that the Bus Depot pipes "will last 4 or 5 years at best" - having clearly never tried them, since you replaced your original VW brand pipes with a second set of the same. In fact you haven't even noticed that they are made in Denmark, which is quite some distance from "Taiwan / Bangladesh / Korea." Tell me, how can pass judgement on a product that you have never tried?

So please do not insult my parts by comparing them to low-end aftermarket Taiwanese/Bangladeshi/Korean parts which I don't sell. (And in fact which don't exist at all. There ARE no watercooled Vanagon exhausts made in Taiwan, Bangladesh, or Korea.) As hundreds of list members here can attest to, the parts I sell are of very high quality, and most come from the original suppliers to Volkswagen. Even your esteemed Walker cannot make that claim.

This is silly, and I'm done with it. It's ludicrous for me to argue about this. Here I'm trying to save you money, only to get called names. If you truly believe that every part that has touched the magical hands of VW is inherently better, then please, by all means, buy nothing else. Nobody's trying to shove anything down anyone's throat. In fact I will make a whole lot more money selling you a $25 genuine VW Multivan cup holder. instead of the virtually identical American made substitute for $8. I will make more money selling you a ball joint with the magical VW logo on it for $75, instead of one from the same factory, with the German OEM supplier's logo on it instead, for $25. Far be it for me to have the unmitigated gaul to try to save you money. If you prefer to spend 2-5 times the price on every part for your Vanagon, and have the money to burn, who am I to complain?

I'm done with this thread. It is absurd.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT