Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 May 2010 15:21:05 -0700
From:         Robert Fisher <garciasghostvw@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: vanagon camper seating capacity

--snip-- Is life only about money these day?? --snip--

If you were put in the position of having to decide between your kid, your money and your smug feelings of rebelliousness/contrariness, which would you choose?

It has nothing to do with courage, it has to do with common sense. It's relatively cheap to make sure your passengers are properly secured; and as to kids being strapped in for 8 hours: it beats the hell out of them flying free inside the car at 60 mph for a quarter-second. Besides, DVD players and DSis and such make it bearable (this from a guy that regularly travels through completely unremarkable desert with three kids, and who once rode most of the way from NYC to Knoxville on the rear-window deck of a Ford... I had a hell of sunburn.) Sure, more lived than died back in the day, but you could say the same thing about the plague and WWII- it doesn't mean we should embrace those things. It was precisely because so many died unnecessarily that these laws were enacted, particularly in the cases of people that would've lived but didn't because somebody else became a missile in the vehicle, or because somebody lost control of their vehicle and killed somebody outside of it.

I have to wonder if the people that come up with this crap have ever actually been in a car wreck. They happen so fast, and with so much force, that it's really impossible to comprehend unless one has been through that or something similar.

I was in two crashes when I was around 18, both of them quite similar in terms of what happened to me in the car. In the first one I wasn't wearing a seat belt, and I nearly killed my passenger from flying around loose in the car (at 240 pounds); I spent a week in the hospital with a concussion/brain injury that nearly killed me and I had the ...interesting... experience of being blind for about 15 hours with no idea of whether or not I would regain my vision. In the second, I had on my seat belt, and I got a bump on the forehead.

I've worn my seat belt ever since, and so has everyone who has ridden with me. My step-dad (who is an engineer) always felt like my attitude and the laws were a personal imposition on him until I pointed out to him that it didn't do anybody else any good to be strapped in if he was flying loose about the cabin at road speeds and of course losing what little control over the vehicle he might have had (as the driver) if he had been belted in- and this was even after he'd sat with my mom by my hospital bed wondering if I was going to make it that first time.

In that first crash, the guy that hit me bounced across the road and t-boned an old couple waiting to turn at a stop sign, injuring them both, and the woman severely (she had just removed her seat belt, since they were about to pull into a UPS place). Several people (including myself) independently described to the police that the guy had let go of his wheel and was bouncing around the cab of his truck with his hands up. He was cited for abandoning control of his vehicle, as well as everything that happened after the initial impact with me.

People seem to think their decisions with their vehicle are all about _them_, and completely ignore the fact that they're also making that decision for everyone that comes with their sphere of operation/influence. You're not driving in your own little world. Think about those massacres in the south-east involving dozens of vehicles that start with one bonehead that's driving too fast for the pea-soup fog he's in.

It often only takes one bad decision for everything to go wrong, but many good decisions to make everything go right- tires, seat belts, whatever.

Cya, Robert